Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When I spot language errors in brochures, menus, ads etc. I...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Offer my services Jan 22, 2011

On two occasions recently I have offered my services: one being a professional organisation in Brazil whose site was fully translated by machine translation, and the other a badly translated (also by Google Translate or similar) sports website. The professional site never bothered to reply, the other at least sent me an e-mail telling me to wait - it's already been several months.

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Addendum Jan 22, 2011

I have only just seen José Ignácio's post which says that

"The translation business in Brazil is a disaster and the language is treated everywhere with the utmost lack of respect. For instance, every official publication, from all levels of government, has language mistakes in it, not to mention the abstruse phrasing and vocabulary improprieties which makes most of the texts unintelligible."

I have to agree with his wise words. In my opinion the big problem is that mo
... See more
I have only just seen José Ignácio's post which says that

"The translation business in Brazil is a disaster and the language is treated everywhere with the utmost lack of respect. For instance, every official publication, from all levels of government, has language mistakes in it, not to mention the abstruse phrasing and vocabulary improprieties which makes most of the texts unintelligible."

I have to agree with his wise words. In my opinion the big problem is that most companies (except the large multinationals) have little cash in their pockets after the massive tax burden we have here in Brazil. Brazil is the country with most taxes and the highest interest rates in the whole world, and this means that companies need to struggle to survive.

For this and other reasons, the rule in Brazil is "lowest price wins" and of course this is a body blow to quality.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:06
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
usually nothing Jan 22, 2011

but I really get steamed when I see errors in newspapers or news sources. They should know better and copy editors are supposed to catch errors like that ...
I mean using "pour" instead of "pore" or "grizzly" instead of "grisly". I mean come on...you're in the news business, you make it your business to SPELL!!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I chose "other" because... Jan 22, 2011

...my reaction to language errors differs, depending on the type of errors and where I encounter them.

There is, for example, a publisher of dictionaries and audio leaning systems. I never used their audio systems, but peeked into their dictionarries - sometimes just for the fun of it while looking for "real" language related books. Sadly enough, their "language assitance tools" are highly recommended and widely used - despite the errors in them. A few decades ago I tried to point o
... See more
...my reaction to language errors differs, depending on the type of errors and where I encounter them.

There is, for example, a publisher of dictionaries and audio leaning systems. I never used their audio systems, but peeked into their dictionarries - sometimes just for the fun of it while looking for "real" language related books. Sadly enough, their "language assitance tools" are highly recommended and widely used - despite the errors in them. A few decades ago I tried to point out a few errors to them by sending them an email, but am to receive a reply as of yet. So why bother?

Any other errors I've come across thus, including here on ProZ.com, I report, usually out of courtesy.

Since errors seems to love me so much - they actually jump at me even when I don't read the text - I just might specialize more on post-editing thon on translating.

@ Simone,

I so share your feelings about what German television is doing to our language, as well as many Germans - I believe without even bothering to apply a little thought to any given word. So, of course, my (least) "favorite" word is: Handy.
Not a single native English speaker (who doesn't know the new-age German) knows what is going on when hearing someone say: du kannst mein Handy benutzen (you can use my cell/mobile phone).

What causes for my bloodpressure to rise is when they use English titles, even though it's an entirely German production, and then render a senseless (I'm being kind here) translation of their often grammatically incorrect English titel.

But... it's the weekend. So there's no need to deal with matters that nobody (aside from linguists) even thinks about twice - or once?

Enjoy your weekend!

Thayenga
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Handy Jan 22, 2011

Regarding Thayenga's remark, I actually find the word "handy" (as used in German) quite handy. Otherwise, with the German habit of stringing words together, we would have something like "Zellulärentelephönenohneweiren" (wireless cellular telephone).

[Please excuse my attempt at German as shown here, I have never had one lesson in German in my life but picked up a word here and there as I have taught English to people at German-owned companies]

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends how important it is Jan 22, 2011

If it's garbled health information on a sign in a hospital or a completely incomprehensible menu in a restaurant I mention it to the staff and suggest they have someone look at it and revise it.

If it's awkward but understandable, I usually have a good chuckle but don't say anything, unless I'm friends with the business owner.

Maria Gisella Gamez
Maria Gisella Gamez  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Italian
+ ...
Great chance to get new clients! Jan 22, 2011

... provided that

1. you find the appropriate contact to let them know about the mistakes.
2. you find the best way to sound like you want to improve their work (which is already good, although it may have some more or less serious problems)

In my experience, my observations are always welcome. I offer my services to retranslate or edit a critical fragment for free, so they can assess my contribution and compare with their provider/s and in this way I have
... See more
... provided that

1. you find the appropriate contact to let them know about the mistakes.
2. you find the best way to sound like you want to improve their work (which is already good, although it may have some more or less serious problems)

In my experience, my observations are always welcome. I offer my services to retranslate or edit a critical fragment for free, so they can assess my contribution and compare with their provider/s and in this way I have gained new customers.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ Paul Jan 22, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:

Regarding Thayenga's remark, I actually find the word "handy" (as used in German) quite handy. Otherwise, with the German habit of stringing words together, we would have something like "Zellulärentelephönenohneweiren" (wireless cellular telephone).

[Please excuse my attempt at German as shown here, I have never had one lesson in German in my life but picked up a word here and there as I have taught English to people at German-owned companies]

There's no need to excuse...you having provided me with a smile.

German isn't as complicated as you've depicted it to be in here... the word for "Handy" would simply be: Mobiltelefon.

Enjoy your weekend.

Yvonne Becker
Yvonne Becker  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Almost never works Jan 22, 2011

Vitals wrote:

If "report them and offer my services" has ever worked for anyone and in what way?

Very usually do I spot such things, but never tried to report on that yet.

Have a nice day,
VS

I once wrote a company because the instructions on the box to cook their chicken in the microwave were different in Spanish than in English and got no answer. Another time, it was at a five star hotel (the fire emergency instructions) and I told them, but didn't consider it was important.

I once spotted some mistakes in a dictionary and wrote the author. She was very grateful and corrected them for the next edition.

[Edited at 2011-01-22 22:10 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not my problem Jan 23, 2011

Other people's mistakes really don't bother me. I learned long ago that it isn't my job to fix the rest of the world. Fixing myself takes all my time. As Byron Katie says: "If I'm minding your business, then there's nobody at home tending the store."

I do remember once, about 40 years ago, I wrote to a magazine about a translation mistake they had made in an article re-published from Portuguese. The author had joked that a certain now-busy street in Rio used to have so little traffi
... See more
Other people's mistakes really don't bother me. I learned long ago that it isn't my job to fix the rest of the world. Fixing myself takes all my time. As Byron Katie says: "If I'm minding your business, then there's nobody at home tending the store."

I do remember once, about 40 years ago, I wrote to a magazine about a translation mistake they had made in an article re-published from Portuguese. The author had joked that a certain now-busy street in Rio used to have so little traffic that he could have crossed it "plantando bananeiras" - walking on his hands (or turning cartwheels). The English translation said - you guessed it: 'planting banana trees'. The editor wrote back defending their translation, and I didn't feel particularly vindicated.
Collapse

Joyce A
Joyce A  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:06
English to Japanese
+ ...
I found this at a hospital... Jan 23, 2011

[quote]Steven Capsuto wrote:

If it's garbled health information on a sign in a hospital ....

Speaking of hospital signs....
A local hospital was doing some renovations...With all the hammering sounds echoing through the main reception room, there was a sign that said:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENTS!

Giorgio Tenedios (X)
Giorgio Tenedios (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Serves me right for interfering Jan 23, 2011

Last summer in a restaurant in Greece I spotted several mistakes on the English menu. I pointed out this to the owner who seemed to be annoyed by my remark and he explained that the English menu had been prepared by his son, an language University student. Shortly after a small party sat near my table and by the way the owner’s behavior I deduced they must be people of some standing. In fact, the owner explained to me discreetly that the man sitting at the head of the table was the editor of a... See more
Last summer in a restaurant in Greece I spotted several mistakes on the English menu. I pointed out this to the owner who seemed to be annoyed by my remark and he explained that the English menu had been prepared by his son, an language University student. Shortly after a small party sat near my table and by the way the owner’s behavior I deduced they must be people of some standing. In fact, the owner explained to me discreetly that the man sitting at the head of the table was the editor of a well known Athens newspaper. He then approached this man and asked him if he could spot any mistakes on the English menu, explaining that his very son, an English language student, had prepared. He also explained that I had spotted the mistakes. The editor examined the menu, raised his head, thought for a moment, and looking at me said that the menu could not have been written any better. After the restaurant owner left the table, the editor winked at me, a clear acknowledgement of agreement with me. It was then that I realized that he did not wish to hurt the feelings of a proud father. Serves me right for not minding my own business.Collapse

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cable TV Jan 23, 2011

A few months ago, I posted a couple of "complaints" in two cable TV providers' web sites. I even offered to check their Spanish translations for free, but nobody seems to care.

A LATIN AMERICAN LANGUAGE POLICE FORCE is badly needed!

784512 (X)
784512 (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I chuckle, and worry about causing offence Jan 25, 2011

giorgioten wrote:

Last summer in a restaurant in Greece I spotted several mistakes on the English menu. I pointed out this to the owner who seemed to be annoyed by my remark and he explained that the English menu had been prepared by his son, an language University student. Shortly after a small party sat near my table and by the way the owner’s behavior I deduced they must be people of some standing. In fact, the owner explained to me discreetly that the man sitting at the head of the table was the editor of a well known Athens newspaper. He then approached this man and asked him if he could spot any mistakes on the English menu, explaining that his very son, an English language student, had prepared. He also explained that I had spotted the mistakes. The editor examined the menu, raised his head, thought for a moment, and looking at me said that the menu could not have been written any better. After the restaurant owner left the table, the editor winked at me, a clear acknowledgement of agreement with me. It was then that I realized that he did not wish to hurt the feelings of a proud father. Serves me right for not minding my own business.

A lesson to be had, here.

Translation is such a "personal" profession, people take it very personally when they are criticised. Always best to be sure who the original translator was, otherwise you can risk upsetting a client.

As for whether I point things out... No, I tend to just chuckle. I remember on a very delayed ICE from London to Cologne, just before I got off, I noticed it said "We would like to take leave of our guests in Cologne". I chuckled and pointed it out to another bilingual Brit, joking that I had had enough of them, too, after such a long delay...

784512 (X)
784512 (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Oh, and as for those Handys and Beamers... Jan 25, 2011

...I think I have been far more likely to tell someone about their inappropriate use of Germglish in a German text than bad English in a translation. It really, really frustrates me. If they really want to be whipped by the legions of the linguistic imperialists, then that is their problem, but would they please a) do so correctly or b) spare me the sight of it.

It makes my blood boil seeing how German is abused and beaten by English, by Germans, no less! Governments put money into
... See more
...I think I have been far more likely to tell someone about their inappropriate use of Germglish in a German text than bad English in a translation. It really, really frustrates me. If they really want to be whipped by the legions of the linguistic imperialists, then that is their problem, but would they please a) do so correctly or b) spare me the sight of it.

It makes my blood boil seeing how German is abused and beaten by English, by Germans, no less! Governments put money into integration, so why do even government institutions wilfully exclude the monolingual Germans? Who, incidentally, are often those most disadvantaged - the elderly or less-educated?

NIAGH.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I spot language errors in brochures, menus, ads etc. I...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »