Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever been assigned a project that you had already translated before?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few times Mar 8, 2016

It happened recently - the same document from the same client. I told them about it, but they paid me anyway because the funds had already been allocated. (International organizations typically allot the funds before they assign a translation.)

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:22
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Michael Mar 9, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

CURIOSITY: That's when I had an idea of how much the agencies take from us, or at least some of them, to do nothing but issuing an invoice. One agency charged $ 29.00 from the contractor I worked for (per page), and paid me $ 12.00 to translate (no revision). So they earned 60% to do nothing and paid me 40% to do all the job.

Come on Mario, I cannot imagine that much is left over from that 60% after all of the taxes / wages, etc have been paid. May seem a lot, but what I see from South America, you have really high taxes down there.....

The taxes for small companies in Brazil add up to about 15%. It's not that much. And they rarely ever have employees, except maybe a secretary. It's usually two or three partners who open a company to explore freelance translators. So, considering another 10% for general expenses and payroll, they still keep 35% net!

Don't tell me that's fair.

[Edited at 2016-03-09 04:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been assigned a project that you had already translated before?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »