Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 22:23
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
40 Apr 11, 2016

Noura Tawil wrote:
That [21-30] would have been an interesting age range. Too bad it was included in a broader range!

I am nearly 40, but too bad, I have to choose 21-40 and appear to be part of the younger group of translators (21-30). Also, I started translating professionally at 32-33 (was working in other fields and sectors before that).

I am actually wondering whether the results for 21-40 consist mainly of 21-30 or 31-40...

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 17:23
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Sharon... Apr 11, 2016

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL wrote:

Noura Tawil wrote:
That [21-30] would have been an interesting age range. Too bad it was included in a broader range!

I am nearly 40, but too bad, I have to choose 21-40 and appear to be part of the younger group of translators (21-30). Also, I started translating professionally at 32-33 (was working in other fields and sectors before that).

I am actually wondering whether the results for 21-40 consist mainly of 21-30 or 31-40...

I would think it mainly consists of translators in the 31-40 range, since a good percentage of translators come from other professions, just like you and me. But it would have been nice to know for sure

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm very familiar with that advice Apr 11, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:
Sheila:

There's no such thing as one rule for anything. If your approach is what is locally effective, keep doing it, but don't fall into the trap of recommending it as a universal standard for the whole world.

That's why I wrote based on the advice given me regarding CVs. I never said that it's advice that everyone on the planet should follow!

It's often given by employment advisors, and it's something I often mentioned, and indeed advised, during the six years I ran a "CV in English" workshop for the French government's job centre (ANPE, renamed Pôle Emploi). It's good advice for most older job-seekers. Of course, there are exceptions, such as those who have spent several years out of the job marketplacc or those who are returning to a previous career.

But those are not our CVs. They are for job-seekers and those tend to need to be rather more structured than ours, with employers wanting some sort of an idea about chronological progression.. Ours don't need to be in the slightest bit dependent on dates, in fact dates really don't need to be mentioned at all unless the CV owner believes them to be in some way favourable. One of the many pieces of advice I give about a freelancer's CV (note, not talking here of a job-seeker's) CV is to leave chronology out of the picture. The one and only rule I give for freelancers and other business owners is to include everything that's relevant and exclude the rest. In 10 years of advising on CVs, I've yet to find a freelancer whose CV has derived any benefit from doing anything else.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which age range do you belong to?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »