Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What do you prefer to do in your free time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:03
Member (2004)
English to French
Knitting! Jun 22, 2016

I knit compulsively vintage inspired sweaters while watching movies

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yawn Jun 22, 2016

The possibilities are (cough, cough) “endless”!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Me too Jun 22, 2016

Marta Cervera Areny wrote:

I'm a freelance translator and a proud mommy of 3-year-old twins... I can't remember what free time is!

When I'm not translating I'm being a mummy, so free time doesn't happen very often. If I do manage to get a few minutes, I might spend it playing music or going for a walk.

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:03
Dutch to German
+ ...
Other Jun 22, 2016

Housework, a lot of housework, raising a lively nine-year-old daughter single-handedly, a bit of Yoga, a bit of Flamenco, sometimes Tango, some reading and when I am too pumped out to do any of the above: a movie or an episode (or two, or three...) of my favourite US/UK TV series!

If I can make the time, I like to meet up with fellow translator in my hometown at the so called "Übersetzer-Stammtisch" once a month which is always nice and invigorating. Sadly, only too often I have to
... See more
Housework, a lot of housework, raising a lively nine-year-old daughter single-handedly, a bit of Yoga, a bit of Flamenco, sometimes Tango, some reading and when I am too pumped out to do any of the above: a movie or an episode (or two, or three...) of my favourite US/UK TV series!

If I can make the time, I like to meet up with fellow translator in my hometown at the so called "Übersetzer-Stammtisch" once a month which is always nice and invigorating. Sadly, only too often I have to pass due to work or exhaustion or other engagements...
Collapse

Ana Florencia Fernandez
Ana Florencia Fernandez
Argentina
Local time: 04:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dance! Jun 22, 2016

And of course, spend time with friends and my loved one.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tango anyone? Jun 22, 2016

Katrin Bosse wrote:

If I can make the time, I like to meet up with fellow translator in my hometown at the so called "Übersetzer-Stammtisch" once a month which is always nice and invigorating. Sadly, only too often I have to pass due to work or exhaustion or other engagements...

Ah, flamenco! That reminds me the time a bunch of Spanish translators and I went to this Spanish restaurant in Toronto (ATA conference in 2004). Some of us ended up dancing flamenco in front of everyone!

Carina Tschaitschmann
Carina Tschaitschmann
Austria
English to German
+ ...
Horseback riding, Yoga... Jun 22, 2016

I live on an organic farm, so I have a nice work-life balance in general....when I get a headache from too much computer work and I can somehow squeeze it in, I either go ride one of our horses or do some yoga which is good for my posture and helps me unwind.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Endless possibilities... Jun 22, 2016

I enjoy cooking and I do it every day. I even make my own pasta.

I spend time with my daughter and my mother, go swimming in summer, take a brisk walk to the shops at least once a day (3 km - sometimes that's the only excercise I get, but it's better than nothing), make my own skin and hair care... I enjoy knitting when it's colder (mainly jumpers, but also scarves and woolly hats and I've just started knitting socks).
Then I also need to (at least try to) keep the flat clean
... See more
I enjoy cooking and I do it every day. I even make my own pasta.

I spend time with my daughter and my mother, go swimming in summer, take a brisk walk to the shops at least once a day (3 km - sometimes that's the only excercise I get, but it's better than nothing), make my own skin and hair care... I enjoy knitting when it's colder (mainly jumpers, but also scarves and woolly hats and I've just started knitting socks).
Then I also need to (at least try to) keep the flat clean and tidy and I'm trying to persuade myself to paint the bedroom and the living room (something I actually like doing, but I hate to get the furniture out of the way first cover, up the floor etc.). I also need to replace my kitchen furniture but that will have to wait until October/November I think. Good thing I like assembling IKEA furniture, so I can do most of it myself.

Basically, there's always something to do for a Jill of all trades like me
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Jun 22, 2016

1/ Spend time with my son and take care of him. 2/ Spend time with my family in general and with friends. 3/ Exercising. Gardening. Cooking. Reading. Volunteering in a local non-profit. Attending MOOCs. And lots of other stuff I love doing, but everything under point 3/ has become occasional since point 1/ took over most of my free time

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:03
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mix Jun 22, 2016

A mix of these: reading, cinema and exercise.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
impossibile poll Jun 22, 2016

There are too many activities for our free time and everybody has different habits.
Anyway for those who are interested... I love reading, going out with friends and family, ride my bike, going to the beach in summer...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:03
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Away from the computer Jun 22, 2016

Anything outdoors, away from the computer and the working environment. Meeting with friends would be a good choice, but I don't do it very frequently. Even groceries are a relaxing activity for me. If I can forget my mobile on purpose, so much better.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sex 'n' drugs 'n' rock 'n' roll Jun 22, 2016

And mountain bike racing

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:33
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Learn Urdu Jun 22, 2016

Currently I am obsessed with learning Urdu, a sister language of Hindi my main working language. I spend every spare minute on this pursuit and sometime even cheat on my regular working hours as Urdu is much more fun than translating!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:03
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 23, 2016

Writing, gardening, walking with my dogs, chatting with friends and neighbors. reading, studying, watching movies, etc., etc.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you prefer to do in your free time?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »