Barbara Cochran, MFA

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most Definitely Jul 6, 2022

I tend to think twice anymore about how often, how far, and which libraries, coffee houses, and restaurants I will go to the next time a client sends me a book to translate, while, when fuel for my car still cost half of what it does now (and its price just keeps on growing), I never did, before I packed up one of my laptops and a book, and then headed out for the day. Even though I don't really have to be all that conservative when it comes to discretionary spending. Fresh air, the rays of the ... See more
I tend to think twice anymore about how often, how far, and which libraries, coffee houses, and restaurants I will go to the next time a client sends me a book to translate, while, when fuel for my car still cost half of what it does now (and its price just keeps on growing), I never did, before I packed up one of my laptops and a book, and then headed out for the day. Even though I don't really have to be all that conservative when it comes to discretionary spending. Fresh air, the rays of the sun, walking across the campuses, seeing some friendly, familiar faces—I find all of that very good for my physical health and mood. I also take a laptop when I have to travel somewhere and stay in a hotel, or when I travel to visit my favorite relatives, who live in another state, whether I'm working on a project at that time, or just hoping that an invitation to bid on a new one ends up in my inbox. Anyway, besides two relatively new laptops, I also have a top-of-the-line, 2009-vintage desktop, that I like to use to edit my translations. And a brand-new desktop, after all these years (!), was delivered last week, and is still sitting in its unopened box.

[Edited at 2022-07-06 01:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-06 01:40 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 17:39
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
CATs on screens Jul 6, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:

I am happy with the small monitor (13"), but I just cannot work at a cafe. Even worse, I moved to the sofa a few months back and that's my new place now. I can't function back at my desk anymore. How do people even adapt to different chairs, desks, lighting, noise (if any), temperature, etc.?

Everyone has their own preferences obviously, but I just cannot imagine using CAT tools on a small screen, since most of them have a more or less crammed UI. Used to work with STAR Transit on a 22-inch monitor, which was already pretty unpleasant (though Transit is also an unpleasant tool in itself), so I will definitely never go below 24 inch again.

Tom in London
Dan Lucas

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:39
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
screen-zoom Jul 6, 2022

Alex Lichanow wrote:

Everyone has their own preferences obviously, but I just cannot imagine using CAT tools on a small screen, since most of them have a more or less crammed UI. Used to work with STAR Transit on a 22-inch monitor, which was already pretty unpleasant (though Transit is also an unpleasant tool in itself), so I will definitely never go below 24 inch again.

When I first started using the new laptop with the 13" monitor (I had a 15" laptop before), I had also bought a 20-something inch external monitor but didn't use it much and eventually removed it from the desk. The new laptop has a screen-zoom feature, so bad UI is not a big problem on an 13" for me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you a digital nomad?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »