Thread poster: jsl (X)
jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 01:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
May 5, 2003

Hello.

For the job recently posted here, I quickly applied, and I received an e-mail, saying \"

You\'re the first that bid, so just go ahead and do it\", so I started the job. A few hours later, I sent the job. However, for the past few days, there was no reply from the person. Since that person has specified a payment through PayPal in the job posting, I asked the money for the job through my PayPal account.

Now, a few hours ago, I received
... See more
Hello.

For the job recently posted here, I quickly applied, and I received an e-mail, saying \"

You\'re the first that bid, so just go ahead and do it\", so I started the job. A few hours later, I sent the job. However, for the past few days, there was no reply from the person. Since that person has specified a payment through PayPal in the job posting, I asked the money for the job through my PayPal account.

Now, a few hours ago, I received the following message:

Dear Translator,

Unfortunately, we have received a lot of responses and translations from translators that we did not pick. I am sorry, but we have already designated a translator to carry out this job.

But we appreciate very much your efforts and will keep you in our database for future jobs.

I did the job after I was asked to do it, but this agency now rejects paying for the job. The agency is still a ProZ member, and I cannot believe that this has just happened here.

[ This Message was edited by: daisuke on 2003-05-05 23:39]
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Strange... May 5, 2003

This is strange. Did they give their OK to go ahead with the translation job in writing? If they did, then you need to pursue this until you get your money for the service you rendered. Also, I would record this on the Blue Board. Blue Board does work. Good and serious companies do not want to get bad comments, so they will do something to solve this problem.

Good luck,

Monika

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What??? May 5, 2003

Why don\'t you contact a group of potential translators who could have done the job? Perhaps the same agency has sent translations fragments of a whole text to our colleagues, and told them all that it had too many unsolicited translations. Thus, it got the whole word done for free!

I suggest you to inmediately use the Blue Board!

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 01:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very strange experience May 5, 2003

Monica and Clarisa, thank you.

The agency apparently okayed to me, saying, as I repeat:

You\'re the first that bid, so just go ahead and do it.

That\'s why I started, and the result was unexpected.

It is not possible to contact potential translators, since the last message sent to me was a kind of mass-mailing--just copying and pasting the same message, although only my e-mail address is found as a recipient.
... See more
Monica and Clarisa, thank you.

The agency apparently okayed to me, saying, as I repeat:

You\'re the first that bid, so just go ahead and do it.

That\'s why I started, and the result was unexpected.

It is not possible to contact potential translators, since the last message sent to me was a kind of mass-mailing--just copying and pasting the same message, although only my e-mail address is found as a recipient.

The amount was not so big--only $7--, but money is money.

I will consider when to appeal to Blue Board.

Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Danish to English
+ ...
test perhaps May 6, 2003

If you want to accept a job, you should always get the okay to go ahead in writing with a referral number for your billing, ie., PO number, which the agency can fax or include in e-mail. In your case for $7 I believe you might have received a test translation.

P.S. The Blue Board is not an appeals committee (you wrote you would appeal to the Blue Board) but a place where Proz members can list their comments about agencies, good or bad. Next time you get a job offer, I sugg
... See more
If you want to accept a job, you should always get the okay to go ahead in writing with a referral number for your billing, ie., PO number, which the agency can fax or include in e-mail. In your case for $7 I believe you might have received a test translation.

P.S. The Blue Board is not an appeals committee (you wrote you would appeal to the Blue Board) but a place where Proz members can list their comments about agencies, good or bad. Next time you get a job offer, I suggest you check the Blue Board for these comments before you accept a job.

[ This Message was edited by: BLANGSTED on 2003-05-06 04:12]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment rejected for a job recently posted here

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »