Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
"Job poster has restricted access to paying members"--explanation?
Thread poster: Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 03:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 23, 2003

I tried to enter to two job postings and I got the following message:

Sorry, you can not yet view this job posting.

The job poster has restricted the access to paying members of ProZ.com until Jun 24.

Can someone explain me this? I have no idea what is it or why?

Thanks,

Dinorah

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Interesting... Jun 23, 2003

Henry wrote:

We'll correct it.

Is this a glimpse of things to come?

* I guess I should qualify my question.
In the future will paying members get first crack at job postings?

R.
==

[Edited at 2003-06-23 19:29]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:35
SITE FOUNDER
Not a glimpse - that was all of it Jun 23, 2003

Is this a glimpse of things to come?
In the future will paying members get first crack at job postings?

What you saw is not a glimpse--that was pretty much it.

Bascially, it is up to the client. Some clients have complained about receiving too many non-serious bids. So we are giving them an additional option: besides specifying country of residence, tool used, credentials, etc., job posters can now specify membership level required. We'll see if it helps streamline things--I think it will.

Conversely, we intend to allow filtering of job alerts by client criteria. For example, you already do not need to get alerts on jobs where the clients budget does not fit your range. There will be more of that.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
If it streamlines the process... Jun 23, 2003

for both the job poster and the bidder, hey, I´m all for it!

After having read a post awhile back from Todd and Monica, I can sympathize with the job poster being inundated with frivolous bids.

R.
==

Henry wrote:
What you saw is not a glimpse--that was pretty much it.

Bascially, it is up to the client. Some clients have complained about receiving too many non-serious bids. So we are giving them an additional option: besides specifying country of residence, tool used, credentials, etc., job posters can now specify membership level required. We'll see if it helps streamline things--I think it will.

Conversely, we intend to allow filtering of job alerts by client criteria. For example, you already do not need to get alerts on jobs where the clients budget does not fit your range. There will be more of that.

medical (X)
medical (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Henry you said:Bascially, it is up to the client. Some clients have ... Jun 23, 2003

Bascially, it is up to the client. Some clients have complained about receiving too many non-serious bids.
Nice you want to say that people who are not platinium are not serious, great, by the way I am still waiting a paiement after 2 month from a platinium and verified member of proz, to be platinium does not mean to be serious, only a way to oblige to pay if we want to have some chance to get jobs.
Thank you very much.
And the sad part of the story is that I will have to pay
... See more
Bascially, it is up to the client. Some clients have complained about receiving too many non-serious bids.
Nice you want to say that people who are not platinium are not serious, great, by the way I am still waiting a paiement after 2 month from a platinium and verified member of proz, to be platinium does not mean to be serious, only a way to oblige to pay if we want to have some chance to get jobs.
Thank you very much.
And the sad part of the story is that I will have to pay because I need this to have jobs.
Collapse

otouro
otouro
Portugal
Local time: 09:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Is it a glitch? ...It's still happening... Jun 24, 2003

The last four postings in the Portuguese>English combination (all posted today) all had the same message restricting bids to Platinum members.

I happen to agree with "medical". Just because we are not paying Platinum members does not mean we are not serious (and good!)translators.

I value the ProZ website and community and hope such discrimination is not going to be a permanent feature. There are rotten apples to be found everywhere, and it would be unfair to shut us
... See more
The last four postings in the Portuguese>English combination (all posted today) all had the same message restricting bids to Platinum members.

I happen to agree with "medical". Just because we are not paying Platinum members does not mean we are not serious (and good!)translators.

I value the ProZ website and community and hope such discrimination is not going to be a permanent feature. There are rotten apples to be found everywhere, and it would be unfair to shut us out on the basis of such an allegation. Platinums already have many more privileges than we do (and rightly so, they pay for it) but non paying members also contribute in many ways to make ProZ the vibrant community it currently is.
Collapse

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 04:35
English to French
+ ...
Membership-based restriction can only work in the short term Jun 24, 2003

When you buy a plane ticket, you have the choice between 1st class, business or economy. Each one of these comes with its own set of advantages. Yet, all passengers benefit from the main purpose of the plane, which is being flown from point A to point B.

Proz offers different level of memberships and it is only fair that paying members should have advantages over non-paying members. Yet, all should benefit from the main reason why they turned to Proz, and that is try to find jobs.... See more
When you buy a plane ticket, you have the choice between 1st class, business or economy. Each one of these comes with its own set of advantages. Yet, all passengers benefit from the main purpose of the plane, which is being flown from point A to point B.

Proz offers different level of memberships and it is only fair that paying members should have advantages over non-paying members. Yet, all should benefit from the main reason why they turned to Proz, and that is try to find jobs.

Also, assuming people's attitude on the kind of membership they have is plain wrong.

I don't believe personally that the argument that says that it is a way to filter the applicants is a valid one. After all, if we take the English to French Platinum members doing technical translation, we come up with a total of 199 potential bidders. That still leaves, in my humble opinion, a large number of emails that could be unsolicited.

And if the system implemented ends up with a higher percentage of Platinum sign-ups, then we are back at square 1 and a new membership might have to be created (Titanium?)

What about reminding the poster to close the job once it has been assigned or have it automatically disabled after a certain period of time, chosen by the poster? The fact that the job is still open long after the completion date does not really help to avoid unsolicited emails.

Could a job poster have the ability to report obvious cases of spam (like a mail sent via Proz from a candidate who is not qualified for the job but still wants to send his or her cv around) and have Proz ban the member from the community?

In any case, I see the membership-based restriction as a temporary solution that can only last until too many non-paying members have been convinced in upgrading to one of the proposed Platinum memberships.

Sincerely,

Stéphan Goldsmith
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
A new feature, not a glitch Jun 25, 2003

The "Platinum only" jobs are a new feature, not a glitch. The fact that Platinum members could not reach "Platinum only" jobs was a temporary glitch, already solved.

Jobs are already filtered by language, field of expertise, country and range of rates. This new feature is an option that allows agencies to select "Platinum only" (and other members after some time).

When it selects this option, an agency will get fewer bids, maybe with a higher average rate. Some agencies
... See more
The "Platinum only" jobs are a new feature, not a glitch. The fact that Platinum members could not reach "Platinum only" jobs was a temporary glitch, already solved.

Jobs are already filtered by language, field of expertise, country and range of rates. This new feature is an option that allows agencies to select "Platinum only" (and other members after some time).

When it selects this option, an agency will get fewer bids, maybe with a higher average rate. Some agencies will do it, some will not. It is just an option, it does not mean that non-Platinum members will be excluded from all jobs.

[Edited at 2003-06-25 03:52]
Collapse

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:35
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Customers would be happy Jun 25, 2003

Customers would be happy of this choice! Now our professionalism depends on paying/non-paying status. Congratulations!

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Non-paying members pay. Jun 25, 2003

I have recently been assigned an instant job posted on Proz for which I am very proud and thankful. I understand the agency that posted the job paid some kind of percentage or did they not pay because I am not a Platinium Member? Yes, they did.
What about working on the 'Instant jobs' feature since I am waiting for my good work to be recognised.
I consider (or considered) Proz to be much more that a race between paying and non-paying members. Have you noticed how Kudoz is mainly fed
... See more
I have recently been assigned an instant job posted on Proz for which I am very proud and thankful. I understand the agency that posted the job paid some kind of percentage or did they not pay because I am not a Platinium Member? Yes, they did.
What about working on the 'Instant jobs' feature since I am waiting for my good work to be recognised.
I consider (or considered) Proz to be much more that a race between paying and non-paying members. Have you noticed how Kudoz is mainly fed by non-paying members?.
This is the first thing I disagree with, sadly.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Job poster has restricted access to paying members"--explanation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »