Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
obligatory response to job applications - not only a matter of courtesy...
Thread poster: AMSTEL TRANSLATIONS
Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:18
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

and the list grows.. Feb 26, 2010

Tomas Forro wrote:
you can make your blacklists and other childish, time-wasting things out of the injured pride.

That wasn't too nice but coming from an 'outsourcer' who doesn't have time for treating all applicants with minimal courtesy it's no surprise. My time is precious, too, so it is not a matter of the 'injured pride' if I don't want to deal with unprofessional outsourcers again, but saves me time and energy that I can spend on real business that pays off.
One thing outsourcers should consider is that they do not have to use the job system. That's your best bet if you want those annoying applicants to stay away...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Notification when job is closed Feb 28, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:
This problem would be partially solved if all applicants would receive email notification when the job they applied for is closed (just as in case of Kudoz questions).

Exactly. As simple as that!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I disagree!! Feb 28, 2010

AMSTEL TRANSLATIONS wrote:
After having reacted to job offers several times (sample translations included), it growingly annoys me when outsourcers don't bother to reply. Obviously, I am not the only one......

Well, with the same idea you should be forced to answer to every freelance who happens to find your name in the web and send you a CV thinking you are an agency. It will mean a ton of useless work for you... as it would be useless work for outsourcers to reply to 200 people every time. Being forced to do it will make them stop posting jobs in Proz.com. Yes, I agree that it would be nice if they did and some do respond, but forcing people to do things and lose time just based on your opinion is not a good idea.

It is actually Proz.com's fault for not notifying translators when a job is closed! This forum should be about asking Proz.com to notify translators automatically!

In addition to that, applicants who don't get any response from the outsourcer should be allowed to notify this on the Blue Board.

I totally disagree!!! The Blueboard should be a measure of outsourcer reliability in actual jobs and payments, not an indicator of courtesy. Only people who have actually worked for an outsourcer should enter comments in the Blueboard. In fact, I disagree with the fact that some people enter a comment in the Blueboard after only 1 job for some outsourcer!

If we start filling the Blueboard with subjective assessments of a company's courtesy, the Board will be pretty useless very soon!!

[Edited at 2010-02-28 06:48 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:18
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your proposal, if put in practice, will make the translation rates frop further Feb 28, 2010

Hi all,

After having reacted to job offers several times (sample translations included), it growingly annoys me when outsourcers don't bother to reply. Obviously, I am not the only one......

In my view, all outsourcers who are given the opportunity to post a job offer on Proz.com, should be obliged by the same Proz.com to either send a reply to all applicants who won't get the job or to post a notification on Proz.com that the job has been assigned. Either way, a standard notification will do. This will allow us, job seakers, to plan our work flow more accurately.

In addition to that, applicants who don't get any response from the outsourcer should be allowed to notify this on the Blue Board.

[Edited at 2010-02-26 12:24 GMT]

Simply because such notifications will consume manpower on the part of the outsourcer.

[Edited at 2010-02-28 07:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-28 07:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

obligatory response to job applications - not only a matter of courtesy...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »