Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I don't understand this pricing tactic...
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:38
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Brilliant tactics Apr 13, 2013

Texte Style wrote:

...I suggested we start again, with me quoting a price two cents higher than my usual rate, and then letting myself be beaten down to my usual rate. He agreed!

I must try that one myself!

Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
United States
Local time: 05:38
Italian to English
+ ...
My idea? Apr 14, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

[...] I say that my rate is .14 a word, why do they come back and say "our rate is .05 a word for this volume"? [...] They [...] can see I have 20 years of experience. Do they think I will take such a drastic pay cut out of desperation or are they expecting a counteroffer?

I have no intention of responding, just curious why they even bothered to respond.

You answered your own q
... See more
Jeff Whittaker wrote:

[...] I say that my rate is .14 a word, why do they come back and say "our rate is .05 a word for this volume"? [...] They [...] can see I have 20 years of experience. Do they think I will take such a drastic pay cut out of desperation or are they expecting a counteroffer?

I have no intention of responding, just curious why they even bothered to respond.

You answered your own question, unfortunately. You have 20 years of experience. They want your work. They just don't want to pay for it.

[Edited at 2013-04-14 02:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-14 02:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-14 02:59 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Definitely a cutural thing Apr 14, 2013

nrichy wrote:
Samuel is right too, it's a cultural thing.

Jewish folklore has a name for that peculiar character: the schnorrer.

Of course, no rule requires any schnorrer to be Jewish, like several other characters of the same origin which found their way into English dictionaries, for instance, schlemiel and schlimazel.

According to the joke (found in some American EN dictionary, can't remember which), a schlemiel is a clumsy waiter who always spills some hot soup on the customer's lap, while a schlimazel is an unlucky person who always gets served by a schlemiel waiter.

Back to the schnorrer, the joke I've heard goes like this (shortened version):

A schnorrer walks into a tailor's shop, and asks:
"Hey, how much for a pair of pants?"
"Sixty dollars, sir. Finest quality.
"I'll pay you $30!"
"No, sir. The best price I can do is $ 40."
"Then I'll pay you $20!"
"Listen, sir. You look like a decent, well-dressed person. I am sure you'll like the pants I make so much, that you'll come back to buy more. Today is my daughter's birthday, and I don't want to spoil my good mood by quibbling. So this time I'll make your pants for free!"
"Really? Then I'll want TWO pairs!"

By labeling each schnorrer prospect as they deserve it, you'll be mentally prepared to face such a character. I envision that tailor every time I meet one.

Stefan Blommaert
Stefan Blommaert
Brazil
Local time: 06:38
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
A cultural thing, indeed Apr 14, 2013

I personally hate haggling ( I also stink at it!), I think it is insulting and, if you think about it a bit further, even discriminating.

I have rates that I use for all my clients, irrespective of where they come from, what they look like, which accent they speak with, etc...

I do sometimes lower my rates if there are good reasons to do so, giving up a part of my gains, but only if both my client and I benefit from closing a deal that way.

I NEVER ever inc
... See more
I personally hate haggling ( I also stink at it!), I think it is insulting and, if you think about it a bit further, even discriminating.

I have rates that I use for all my clients, irrespective of where they come from, what they look like, which accent they speak with, etc...

I do sometimes lower my rates if there are good reasons to do so, giving up a part of my gains, but only if both my client and I benefit from closing a deal that way.

I NEVER ever increase my rates when I see/hear that a client comes from a certain geographical area, speaks a certain language, etc...

Not only do I find having prices for foreigners, for (visibly) poor people, for (also visibly) rich people, etc...time consuming (because of the inevitable haggling that follows) and unpleasant, but foremost insulting because it means that I am being taken for a ride as a client.

Of course, as said, this is a cultural thing, but something also tells me that one can easily find a clear correlation between the occurence of these practices in certain areas and the prevalence of corruption in the same places. The one opens the door to the other.

[Edited at 2013-04-15 07:28 GMT]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:38
French to English
Here's a reason for you Apr 16, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Because other people post threads and tweets and suchlike along the lines of "I answered a general query issued by an agency and they didn't even reply. How dashed rude. I am not inconsiderably irked."

Personally, I'd rather get a reply than not, since then at least you (usually) know where you stand. It at least has the merit of showing some consideration for those who have responded.

However, if I say that my rate is .14 a word, why do they come back and say "our rate is .05 a word for this volume"? What am I supposed to do with that information?

You are supposed to realise there are several segments in the translation industry, and that you are in one segment and the agency is in another. It is no doubt regrettable the agency didn't specify the type of provider they were looking for, but once the situation is clear, I would have (and I have, for the reason as outlined above i.e. good manners and so both parties know where they stand) replied briefly along those lines.

[Edited at 2013-04-16 19:54 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I don't understand this pricing tactic...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »