Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 19:29
angličtina -> italština
+ ...
Oct 14, 2005

Hi there,

today, whilst waiting for a document to be delivered, I decided to sort out my messenger things on my computer. In two articles on ProZ people were ranting and raving about Miranda IM, so I thought I would install it....
Well, that turned out to be a bit of a waste of time since I don't seem to understand how to make it start. I mean, I downloaded it successfully, I get the lovely interface, but what the next step is, I am not clear at all (besides, when you download
... See more
Hi there,

today, whilst waiting for a document to be delivered, I decided to sort out my messenger things on my computer. In two articles on ProZ people were ranting and raving about Miranda IM, so I thought I would install it....
Well, that turned out to be a bit of a waste of time since I don't seem to understand how to make it start. I mean, I downloaded it successfully, I get the lovely interface, but what the next step is, I am not clear at all (besides, when you download it it comes up with that list of strange sites.... what on earth is that??). I had a look at their web-site, but it doesn't say. It must be something pretty obvious that I am missing.
Any suggestions anybody?

Andrea

Update: it seems that all I had to do was to close it down and start it again ....

[Modificato alle 2005-10-14 13:55]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 20:29
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
Try Gaim Nov 5, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

Hi there,

Well, that turned out to be a bit of a waste of time since I don't seem to understand how to make it start. I mean, I downloaded it successfully, I get the lovely interface, but what the next step is, I am not clear at all (besides, when you download it it comes up with that list of strange sites.... what on earth is that??). I had a look at their web-site, but it doesn't say. It must be something pretty obvious that I am missing.
Any suggestions anybody?

Andrea

Update: it seems that all I had to do was to close it down and start it again ....

[Modificato alle 2005-10-14 13:55]

I tried Miranda, but I seem to remember getting no sound alerts. I've now got Gaim, which is brilliant. The only bad thing is that the sound is rather loud. Like Firefox, you have the possibility of adding plugins. I recommend installing the WinGaim options if you have Windows. This allows you to dock your buddy list.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:29
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Do not waste time Nov 21, 2005

I also followed this advice found in one of the articles in the Database and installed Miranda two days ago. After a while, I figured out how to do all the settings and so on. But what I could not do, was to make Yahoo Messenger work through Miranda. I browsed all over Miranda`s site for help. I found many forums about the same problem, people complaining about not being able to make Yahoo Messenger work. Some advices were given to them, unsuccesfully. I followed the same advices, but I could no... See more
I also followed this advice found in one of the articles in the Database and installed Miranda two days ago. After a while, I figured out how to do all the settings and so on. But what I could not do, was to make Yahoo Messenger work through Miranda. I browsed all over Miranda`s site for help. I found many forums about the same problem, people complaining about not being able to make Yahoo Messenger work. Some advices were given to them, unsuccesfully. I followed the same advices, but I could not fix the problem either.

This program was supposed to be made so that we can save time. However, I spent many hours just trying to make it work. I don`t have time to waste.
I uninstalled Miranda for good and went back to the real thing, the original messenger programs.
End of the story.

Walter

[Edited at 2005-11-21 12:33]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Miranda IM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »