Portuguese letters and tags in html file
Thread poster: Anne76
Anne76
Anne76
English
Jun 9, 2004

Hello,
I am new in the localization business so want the apologize in advance if my question doens't sound very smart.
Here we go:
I just received a file back from a client written in Portuguese html files.
My problem: when converting the ttx files to htmlfiles, the Portuguese text (the letters with accents) shows up all wrong. The translator didn't use the commendatory tags all the time I think. Although, it shows up wrong only 10% of the time.
Could it have anyth
... See more
Hello,
I am new in the localization business so want the apologize in advance if my question doens't sound very smart.
Here we go:
I just received a file back from a client written in Portuguese html files.
My problem: when converting the ttx files to htmlfiles, the Portuguese text (the letters with accents) shows up all wrong. The translator didn't use the commendatory tags all the time I think. Although, it shows up wrong only 10% of the time.
Could it have anything to do with the way the ini file was programmed?
If anybody has advise on this, please let me know.
Thank you!
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:34
English to Czech
+ ...
Charset / entities Jun 9, 2004

I am not completely sure, but you can try the following:

Does the document contain the right charset? There should be a tag like this in the beginning of the file:

<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=(your-charset-here)">

Or you can check the settings in Tag Editor: Tools - DTD Settings - (select your INI file) - Edit - Entities. You can disable entity conversion here.

Anne76
Anne76
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 10, 2004

Thank you for your response.
I tried to change the charset, but found out that Trados works with a default charset for Portuguese. I can't change it.
I also tried to disable the entity conversion, but then a get a ton of new errors coming up.

Passed the files on to the programmers department. Maybe they find the answer.

Thank you though!

Anne76
Anne76
English
TOPIC STARTER
no tags in HTML file Jun 10, 2004

Guess it is obvious I am new in the business. I explained the above problem totally wrong.

My problem is not the ttx files, they are fine. Actually the html files are fine too, BUT if you open the html file, go to view and then press source, you can see that the letters with accents (é,è) are typed in like that, not with the mendatory tags.
We are looking for a tool that can detect/solve this kind of problem.
Any advise is welcome.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:34
English to Czech
+ ...
Entity conversion Jun 10, 2004

In that case, try to enable entity conversion in Tag Editor. The accented characters should be then converted into entities.

Anne76
Anne76
English
TOPIC STARTER
Portuguese html files Jun 10, 2004

In that case, try to enable entity conversion in Tag Editor. The accented characters should be then converted into entities.

Dear Hynek,
It sure worked. Thanks!
Just found out that our client won't let us mess around with the ini file though. We use an ini file by default which has never caused any problems. We are still trying to find where this problem was caused. Only 5 from 100 Portuguese html files show this problem. Very strange.
I do appreciate your effort t
... See more

Dear Hynek,
It sure worked. Thanks!
Just found out that our client won't let us mess around with the ini file though. We use an ini file by default which has never caused any problems. We are still trying to find where this problem was caused. Only 5 from 100 Portuguese html files show this problem. Very strange.
I do appreciate your effort though!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese letters and tags in html file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »