Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:18
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 10, 2009

I have received a Transit glossary in ZIP format. What do I have to do to open it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jimgreene87
jimgreene87
United States
Local time: 07:18
English to German
+ ...
Clarify, please oh please... Dec 10, 2009

Hey there!

I would like a bit of clarification before I give you any specific device.

First off, if you are referring to accessing the file(s) inside of the zip file, then I can give you some more general advice. You would need to get a copy of 7zip, WinZip, or WinRar. I use winrar 3.80. Apparently they're up to a v3.90, and even a v3.91 beta. The download is technically a trial, and you can buy a license for $29 US. However, when the trial expires, it doesn't stop
... See more
Hey there!

I would like a bit of clarification before I give you any specific device.

First off, if you are referring to accessing the file(s) inside of the zip file, then I can give you some more general advice. You would need to get a copy of 7zip, WinZip, or WinRar. I use winrar 3.80. Apparently they're up to a v3.90, and even a v3.91 beta. The download is technically a trial, and you can buy a license for $29 US. However, when the trial expires, it doesn't stop you from doing anything, so... yeah.

Any of those other software systems will work for ZIP format.
Collapse

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:18
German to Lithuanian
Project -> Receive Dec 10, 2009

Try Project -> Receive -> [file].

I don't think, it's in ZIP format. What is the file extension? Not *.pxf?

AntDunn
AntDunn
German to English
You may not have to unzip Dec 10, 2009

Hi there,

When downloading or updating transit glossaries, called dictionaries, you need to select the zip file as a whole, do not unzip it.

Unfortunately it has been a few months since I did this so I can't quite remember the exact procedure, but I think you go to Dictionaries -> Webterm Interface -> Indirect webterm download and then select the zip file.

However, as I say, I havn't done this in at least 6 months so hopefully somebody else can confirm this
... See more
Hi there,

When downloading or updating transit glossaries, called dictionaries, you need to select the zip file as a whole, do not unzip it.

Unfortunately it has been a few months since I did this so I can't quite remember the exact procedure, but I think you go to Dictionaries -> Webterm Interface -> Indirect webterm download and then select the zip file.

However, as I say, I havn't done this in at least 6 months so hopefully somebody else can confirm this or you can find an instruction manual on the STAR website to double check!
Collapse

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know, but... Dec 10, 2009

jimgreene87, thank you for your post.

To be honest, "I" is actually a friend. He asked me to post here.

He and I both know how to unzip files, but that is what he asked me. As we do not live close to each other and I have never used Transit before (and the little research I did returned nothing), I decided to post his question exactly how it was.

Besides, a few programs need the file to be used to be kept in zip format. I thought that maybe it was the case
... See more
jimgreene87, thank you for your post.

To be honest, "I" is actually a friend. He asked me to post here.

He and I both know how to unzip files, but that is what he asked me. As we do not live close to each other and I have never used Transit before (and the little research I did returned nothing), I decided to post his question exactly how it was.

Besides, a few programs need the file to be used to be kept in zip format. I thought that maybe it was the case for Transit.

I am going to ask him for more information and post here again.

Once again, thank you for your message.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit glossary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »