Thread poster: Rafał Kwiatkowski
Rafał Kwiatkowski
Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:25
German to Polish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2010

I'm wondering if there's any way to use old translated (in Satellite PE) language pair can be used in next projects?

My friend translates received PXFs (one big project in batches) in Satellite PE but i have XV and i would like to use old translated pairs (from this project) to build one big TM for future/next PXFs and to be able to pretranslate these new files in my XV and then deliver the files to translator for translation in Satellite. Is it possible?

Thanks in adv
... See more
I'm wondering if there's any way to use old translated (in Satellite PE) language pair can be used in next projects?

My friend translates received PXFs (one big project in batches) in Satellite PE but i have XV and i would like to use old translated pairs (from this project) to build one big TM for future/next PXFs and to be able to pretranslate these new files in my XV and then deliver the files to translator for translation in Satellite. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
XV version Jan 24, 2010

(1) I believe your ability to create projects for another translator is only possible from a certain level of your XV licence up (perhaps Smart is the lowest, but I am not sure).

(2) You can make an "extract" (joining several language pairs into one), but whether this is or is not suitable in your particular instance is not easy to say. See the Transit documentation about creating extracts. The whole concept of a translation memory is a bit different in Transit than in most CAT tool
... See more
(1) I believe your ability to create projects for another translator is only possible from a certain level of your XV licence up (perhaps Smart is the lowest, but I am not sure).

(2) You can make an "extract" (joining several language pairs into one), but whether this is or is not suitable in your particular instance is not easy to say. See the Transit documentation about creating extracts. The whole concept of a translation memory is a bit different in Transit than in most CAT tools.

(3) You can make use of older language pairs by setting them as "Reference Materials" in your praticular project.

HTH

Antonin
Collapse

Rafał Kwiatkowski
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You mean export or extract? Jan 24, 2010

I could not find anything on "extract" in the documentation but i'll look after.

1. If i add files as a reference Transit will try to GET translation from such reference TM? I know that Trados is providing only the concordance search in reference TM.

2. if i open PXF and chage some setting of the project, how to save it as a PXF again?

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 19:25
German to Arabic
+ ...
Any older language pairs can be used Jan 24, 2010

Dear Rafal,

One of the benefits of Transit is it's high flexibility of using the TM.

You can simply collect the language pair files of any older projects and add them to a new project, whether to use them while you are importing or translating a new project.

As Antonin explained, you can do this either by

1- creating a TM Extract:
Options | Create Reference extract
to make a collective TM. But this is a less preferred way because
... See more
Dear Rafal,

One of the benefits of Transit is it's high flexibility of using the TM.

You can simply collect the language pair files of any older projects and add them to a new project, whether to use them while you are importing or translating a new project.

As Antonin explained, you can do this either by

1- creating a TM Extract:
Options | Create Reference extract
to make a collective TM. But this is a less preferred way because you lose some important background information about the history of the translated segments.

2- Adding the language pairs you want to use from the older project as a reference material in the new project
Project | Settings | Reference Material

3- Another option is simply to collect the old language pairs of the older project in one folder and ad it as a reference material.
(You can find them in the folder of the older project. To find the exact pass, open the old project in satellite PE go to Project | Settings | Folders => copy the path under Working folder and paste it in the address bar of any other opened window and press go.)

In order to be able to import a new project using this reference material you need to have either transit Smart or Transit Professional. The important difference, is that using the individual Smart version you can't send "A PROJECT" to another translator, which can be done using the version Transit Professional.

I hope this would help you.

Should you have further questions, please don't hesitate to come back to us:

Your Arabic Translation Team
[email protected]
Collapse

Rafał Kwiatkowski
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I prefer the second way Jan 24, 2010

because i have access to all language pairs. I can find them and set them as a reference material but how to export the project (with the references) to PXF again?

I have professional version: Transit XV Professional, Version: 3.1 SP 25, Build 679

If i click into new segment the Transit searches for translation in TM. Does it look and get the fuzzy/exact match in/from the reference TM?

Thanks,
Rafal

[Zmieniono 2010-01-24 17:26 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
A few answers and facts Jan 24, 2010

1. Chapter 4.8 of the User Guide is called "Working with translation extracts"

2. AFAIK, SP 26 is the latest

3. Transit does not have anything called "TM" as such - it searches for already translated and similar (fuzzy) segments in language pairs (the current one and those defined as reference materials). If it is useful, you can (roughly speaking, just to improve performance if there are many reference files with the same or very similar segments) create an exct
... See more

3. Transit does not have anything called "TM" as such - it searches for already translated and similar (fuzzy) segments in language pairs (the current one and those defined as reference materials). If it is useful, you can (roughly speaking, just to improve performance if there are many reference files with the same or very similar segments) create an exctract, which (again, roughly spekaing) merges all selected files into one and eliminates repeated segments.

4. You can set what to include when sending a project - see chapter 5.3 of the User Guide.

Transit User Guide should be on your installation CD, but I believe it can be downloaded from STAR website as well. (I use NXT now myself, so I cannot be sure they still keep XV userguide there...)

Antonin
Collapse

Eugen01
Eugen01  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Russian
+ ...
Beginner: A problem with Transit XV Jan 26, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

3. Transit does not have anything called "TM" as such - it searches for already translated and similar (fuzzy) segments in language pairs (the current one and those defined as reference materials). If it is useful, you can (roughly speaking, just to improve performance if there are many reference files with the same or very similar segments) create an exctract, which (again, roughly spekaing) merges all selected files into one and eliminates repeated segments.

4. You can set what to include when sending a project - see chapter 5.3 of the User Guide.

Transit User Guide should be on your installation CD, but I believe it can be downloaded from STAR website as well. (I use NXT now myself, so I cannot be sure they still keep XV userguide there...)

Antonin

Hallo Antonin,

I am just a beginner with Transit XV. My current problem is, if I try to export a translated file, I get only the source file exported.

Have you ever heard of such a problem? How could I avoid it?

Thanks!

Eugene

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a matter of terminology? Jan 26, 2010

Transit:

- imports files - converts from their origninal formats (say, Wortd) to "transit intinsic" format to be translated

- the translating stage may possibly include sending and receiving the project files between the project manager and translator

- exports the project - which means converting the target parts of the language pair to the original file formats (say, Word)

Which of these stages are you referring to?

Antonin

Eugen01
Eugen01  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Russian
+ ...
Beginner: A problem with Transit XV Jan 28, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Transit:

- imports files - converts from their origninal formats (say, Wortd) to "transit intinsic" format to be translated

- the translating stage may possibly include sending and receiving the project files between the project manager and translator

- exports the project - which means converting the target parts of the language pair to the original file formats (say, Word)

Which of these stages are you referring to?

Antonin

This one.

Instead of the target, my Transit exports only the original file.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
What exactly do you mean by "exports only the original file"? Jan 28, 2010

Are you saying that you can see translated text in your target file but untranslated in the exported one?

Just to avoid trivialities (and no offence meant), did you save the translated language pair before exporting?

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting/importing and pretranslating transit files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »