Reference Material: How to organize it efficiently?
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 15:19
Italian to German
+ ...
Mar 26, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I'm digging in to get familiar with Transit XV professional. I went through the tutorial which explains in detail the creation of a project up to the export of the translated documents and I've also read the other manuals (Transit/Termstar/Reference guide...).

Althoug I understand Transit's concept of dealing with Reference Material (RM), I still wonder how you do efficiently organize it, and most of all: what happens with it once you finish a project?<
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm digging in to get familiar with Transit XV professional. I went through the tutorial which explains in detail the creation of a project up to the export of the translated documents and I've also read the other manuals (Transit/Termstar/Reference guide...).

Althoug I understand Transit's concept of dealing with Reference Material (RM), I still wonder how you do efficiently organize it, and most of all: what happens with it once you finish a project?

My plan is the following scenario and I'd much like your opinion and advice about it.

Main scenario:

You mainly translate, let's say, in 5 different domains: Medecine, Machinery, Software & Hardware, etc..
You will then create 5 different projects and assign them RM. If need be, you will import TMX files from Trados or other CATs.
When dealing with new translations, you save new projects in another location and assign them the RM of all or part of the 5 projects above.
But now my main question: You are finished with translating, you've exported all files. What happens with the RM of your current project? Can you just add the reference files to one of the 5 projects above?

Are there other - more usefull - scenarios?
How do YOU deal with RM?

Thanks a lot for your replies!
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subject is obsolete Mar 28, 2010

It seems that Transit XV is no longer sold, the new version is Transit NXT, so my queries are obsolete.

I had the opportunity to try out Transit XV Professional on a collegues's laptop and so I posted those questions.

Mike

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Whether XV or NXT, the principle reains the same Mar 28, 2010

your suggested work with RM is biased by using other CAT tools. The laguage pairs remai there - exporting a project means that the language pairs are used for producing a translated file in the original format, but no "cleaning" of the Transit native format takes place.

What I see as one of the great advantages of Transit is that you can use any projects (or parts of them) as RM for a new one, picking from among them according to the actual need.

Antonin

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes indeed, I'm impressed Mar 28, 2010

Hi Antonin,

thanks for your reply. And yes: I'm too much familiarized with the "central" TM à la Trados, SDLX etc.., but I find Transit's system a real advantage. Most of all, you can see howle text passages from the RM in context, and that's really good if you have high quality texts. The editor interface is also really fast and mouse-convenient.
These are my first impressions. I'll now take a look on their homepage for more infos.

Thanks again!

Mi
... See more
Hi Antonin,

thanks for your reply. And yes: I'm too much familiarized with the "central" TM à la Trados, SDLX etc.., but I find Transit's system a real advantage. Most of all, you can see howle text passages from the RM in context, and that's really good if you have high quality texts. The editor interface is also really fast and mouse-convenient.
These are my first impressions. I'll now take a look on their homepage for more infos.

Thanks again!

Mike
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reference Material: How to organize it efficiently?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »