Nikolaos Katris
Nikolaos Katris  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:37
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 1, 2010

Does anyone know where can someone find dictionaries for the spell-check function of Transit Satellite PE? I contacted the Star but they told me they don't sell these dictionaries anymore. So how can someone run a spell check in Transit Satellite PE (I am interested in Greek spell check)? Is there a way to connect MS Word dictionaries?

Lynn Webb
Lynn Webb  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
German to English
Use open source dictionaries Jun 4, 2010

According to STAR, you should be able to use open source dictionaries (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries and place them in a folder called "spell" in the Transit directory.

Spelling dictionaries have aff and dic file extensions.
For Transit NXT to recognize the language and language variant of the spellcheck dictionary, the aff and dic files mus
... See more
According to STAR, you should be able to use open source dictionaries (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries and place them in a folder called "spell" in the Transit directory.

Spelling dictionaries have aff and dic file extensions.
For Transit NXT to recognize the language and language variant of the spellcheck dictionary, the aff and dic files must be named as follows:
_.aff
and
_.dic
Examples:
■ German (Germany): de_DE.aff and de_DE.dic
■ German (Switzerland): de_CH.aff and de_CH.dic
■ English (UK): en_GB.aff and en_GB.dic
■ English (US): en_US.aff and en_US.dic

Determine the storage location of the spell folder based on what is entered in the starte.ini file in your Transit installation folder. The directory location is usually under a section called [PATHS] in the starte.ini file. If [PATHS] is not in your file, just add it under the last entry in the file and then add the location of the "spell" folder you created. Here is an example:

[PATHS]
SPELL=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit Satellite PE\spell

Remember, your spell folder may be in a different location (such as Program Files\Transit Satellite PE\...). Just make sure to point to wherever your spell folder is.

Hope this helps!

[Edited at 2010-06-04 20:56 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Convert it! Jun 5, 2010

Nikolaos Katris wrote:
Is there a way to connect MS Word dictionaries?

Yes, if you convert the target language pair file to some Word-readable format, e.g. by using a CAT tool that is capable of doing just that (e.g. Deja Vu X or MemoQ, the trial versions will do it for you). You can then use Word for the spellchecking and convert the file back through the same application. You can also use this method to ditch Satellite PE altogether and work in another CAT tool of your choice.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copy the translated text to a MS Word Jul 1, 2010

When I used Transit Satellite, I copied the whole translated text and pasted it into a MS Word file, replaced the ugly white squares (I believe there were tags in the Satellite versions) by ^p to insert a paragrah and run the MSWord spellchecker with track changes on, thus I could see afterwards the localtion of the mispelt words. Next, I went back to the Satellite file and edited it accordingly.

Regards

Clarisa

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:37
German to English
aff file but no dic file in OpenOffice dictionaries Oct 6, 2010

Well, I can only see the aff file for the dictionary I want. I also downloaded two others and they were the same. You're supposed to be able to see both files when you unzip the folder but there's only an aff file in it, plus a lst file (?) and two text documents.

Anyone able to help? I've been at this all morning. All I want is a spellchecker for Transit NXT!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit Satellite PE and spell-check dictionaries

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »