Thread poster: robroy
robroy
robroy
Local time: 18:45
German to English
Oct 4, 2010

Hello,

Can anyone explain this phenomenon (and tell me how to avoid its recurrence!):

I have just translated a Trados TTX document in Transit. The phrase in question is "R&D" (for Research and Development). On completion I "exported" the document so that I had my TTX file again, then "cleaned up" the document (doc) in Trados.

In my cleaned-up Word file I found that "R&D" had become "R&:D". When I checked the TTX file, I found that a tag had been inserted
... See more
Hello,

Can anyone explain this phenomenon (and tell me how to avoid its recurrence!):

I have just translated a Trados TTX document in Transit. The phrase in question is "R&D" (for Research and Development). On completion I "exported" the document so that I had my TTX file again, then "cleaned up" the document (doc) in Trados.

In my cleaned-up Word file I found that "R&D" had become "R&:D". When I checked the TTX file, I found that a tag had been inserted between the R and the D, reading "&:", with the result you can see above.

Does anyone know why this happens, and, more important, how to prevent this happening in future?

Thank you.

Rob Roy

Transit XV Smart, SP 26
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Trados filter in newest SP are buggy Oct 5, 2010

Hello Rob,

I noticed that Trados filters in the newest Transit SPs are most buggy, adding a number of characters in tags. I got back to SP23 with which the Trados filter works without problem and stuck to it, as I never missed the improvements made in the latest XV SPs, whatever they were.

Geneviève

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
more bugs Oct 6, 2010

Hi Rob,

watch out for "

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gillian and Geneviève, Oct 18, 2010

Gillian - I only added the inverted commas in my post, to separate the abbreviations from the text, but they were not on my screen, so the bug (in this case) has nothing to do with the inverted commas. Your tip may come in handy elsewhere though!

Geneviève - have you an idea how I can get my hands on an SP 23? When I go to the Download page I can only download the latest version (SP 26).

Thanks both of you for your help!

Rob Roy

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
large file Nov 4, 2010

robroy wrote:

Geneviève - have you an idea how I can get my hands on an SP 23?

Rob Roy

Hello Rob,

Sorry for the late answer, as I have been busy lately.

I do have SP23 as a zip file. This is a 13.478 KB large file. Let me know if you have a possibility to receive this file easily (FTP or such).

However, I had to install SP26 to be able to use the compatibility pack to NXT, thus updated directly from SP23 to SP26 and have no problem with ttx files so far.

Geneviève.

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry no ftp Nov 4, 2010

Hi Geneviève,

Sorry I have no means other than a looong download! Question is if it's really worthwhile, the problem only occurs rarely and the spellcheck usually picks it up.

But thanks for your willingness to help!

Rob Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

During "Export", "&" becomes "&:"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »