Transit NTX Freelance Pro with Windows 7 : Spellcheck?
Thread poster: Patti01
Patti01
Patti01
Local time: 16:29
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2010

Hello everybody!
I have just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and after installing Transit NXT Freelance Pro I had to realise that the spellcheck does not work. I had this version of Transit NXT on Windows XP before and everything was working perfectly. If somebody had the same problem and manage to solve it ... please help!
Many thanks

[Edited at 2010-11-08 14:31 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 17:29
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
do you use the free OpenOffice dictionaries? Nov 8, 2010

download the .aff and .dic files from www.openoffice.org and put them to

"[transit installation folder] - backslash - spell"

if the "spell" folder does not exist, simply create it

HTH

Antonin

Patti01
Patti01
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done but with no results ... Nov 8, 2010

Hi Antonin, thanks for the reply.
I have done it and it worked with Windows XP but it doesn't work with Windows 7.
I have also changed the STARTE file and modified the directories to exactly the ones where the dictionaries are ... still not working ...

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Default dictionary Nov 9, 2010

Hi Patti,

Is the "default dictionary" is checked under Review > Spellcheck > Based on ?

Cheers,
Jill

Patti01
Patti01
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Nov 9, 2010

Hello!
Yes, that's checked ... thanks...

Petra Voldánová
Petra Voldánová  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to Czech
+ ...
NXT not in Prg files? Nov 9, 2010

Hello Patti,

Another idea - did you install Transit NXT elsewhere than into the Program files directory? (necessary for W. Vista and W. 7)

Petra

Patti01
Patti01
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it's installed there Nov 9, 2010

Hi Petra!
Yes, it's installed in the programm directory...
Have you got Windows 7 too?
In that case would you mind just having a look into the Transit NXT STARTE file and tell me what it says in there under SPELL?
Many thanks
Patrizia

Petra Voldánová
Petra Voldánová  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to Czech
+ ...
On W7 too Nov 9, 2010

Hi Patrizia,

Yes, I'm on Windows 7 with Transit NXT and except for sudden crashes while running the spellchecker (which is supposed to be resolved by the SP3) my (Czech) spellchecker works fine.

I'm afraid you will have to completely de-install your Transit NXT from the Program files directory and delete also the whole Transit NXT directory afterwards. I'm not sure if you should also de-activate the licence throught the Star web interface or not... I would say rather ye
... See more
Hi Patrizia,

Yes, I'm on Windows 7 with Transit NXT and except for sudden crashes while running the spellchecker (which is supposed to be resolved by the SP3) my (Czech) spellchecker works fine.

I'm afraid you will have to completely de-install your Transit NXT from the Program files directory and delete also the whole Transit NXT directory afterwards. I'm not sure if you should also de-activate the licence throught the Star web interface or not... I would say rather yes.
Then install NXT into another folder you choose - and this is also where you should see/create the Spell folder after and to copy the files as mentioned above.

I think you don't have to touch the STARTE.ini file to make the spellchecker work.
I have for exemple choosen to install my Transit NXT into C:\~TRANSIT NXT folder and in the STARTE.ini file, I had automatically then:
SPELL=C:\~TRANSIT NXT\Transit NXT\spell.

Hope this helps!
Petra

[Edited at 2010-11-09 22:46 GMT]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
two comments Nov 10, 2010

1. De-activation of the licence should definitely be done before the uninstalling.

2. In principle, an alternative solution might be to acquire the ownership of Program Files, which has an advantage for being more universal, but a disadvantage that it should be done by someone who exactly knows knows what they are doing.

Antonin

Patti01
Patti01
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would like to say thank you Nov 10, 2010

I would like to say thank you to all of you for your valuable answers and for taking the time to answer. I just received an e-mail from Transit with the
Transit/TermStar NXT Service Pack 3
and this should risolve all my problems (or so I hope....!).
Thanks very much.
I'll go and install ...
Patti

Reka Asztalos
Reka Asztalos
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Location of the files Jan 2, 2011

Hello Patti,
hi all,

I've had the same problem, but I've copied the .dic and .aff files to the (existing) directory c:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\spell\ and tah-dah! spellcheck is working!

If You still have (or somebody else has) the problem, give it a try, I hope it will work for You too!

Cheers,
-AR-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NTX Freelance Pro with Windows 7 : Spellcheck?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »