Deactivated options (in grey)
Thread poster: patriciabr
patriciabr
patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
English to Spanish
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I just installed Transit NXT Freelance Pro and have been using the basic tools, like creating a project, installing an open-source dictionary, and aligning a file.

I haven't figured out though why some options are deactivated (or greyed out) such as the Read-Only (from the Edit+Text toolbars) and the join/split/etc options in the Aligment toolbar. I am particularly interested (ie I'm stuck!) in splitting segments for my first alignment, but I haven't been able to figure out how
... See more
Hi, I just installed Transit NXT Freelance Pro and have been using the basic tools, like creating a project, installing an open-source dictionary, and aligning a file.

I haven't figured out though why some options are deactivated (or greyed out) such as the Read-Only (from the Edit+Text toolbars) and the join/split/etc options in the Aligment toolbar. I am particularly interested (ie I'm stuck!) in splitting segments for my first alignment, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this since the options are not "available" in the toolbar, so to speak.

I have been reading as much as I can from this site and learning a lot, and I'm really thankful for this all the help and tips that I've learned so far.

So, anyway, could someone tell me if I need to do something else to activate these options that appeared greyed out?

Thanks in advance.

Paty
Collapse

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 06:05
German to Arabic
+ ...
Did you activate the alignment mode? Nov 28, 2010

Dear Paty,

Did you activate the alignment mode?

Make sure to activate this mode from the Alignment group in the Ribbon toolbar.

Thanks

patriciabr
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 28, 2010

That was so easy! I just did it. Thanks so much.

But I still can't change the Read-Only status. It's still greyed-out. Could you also help with that?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 05:05
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
read only Nov 28, 2010

I am not sure you can lock the target window to read only (in a translating project) and that it would make any sense. You can, however, unlock the read-only status of the source, should you feel it necessary (I have never done it in using NXT for about two years, though).

Antonin

patriciabr
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I'm referring to unlocking the source text Nov 28, 2010

For example, if I find an error in the source text and want to correct it so that I don't send the mistake to the translation memory. I guess the way to avoid this is doing a spell check, for example, in Word, before bringing the source text into the program. So, how do I activate the option (un-grey it) to unlock it?

Thanks so much for your valuable help!

Paty

[Edited at 2010-11-28 15:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-11-28 15:12 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 05:05
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
it works Nov 28, 2010

In my NXT Professional it does work – while the cursor is in the target, it is grayed, when I activate the cursor's position in the source, it becomes "alive"

But my principle si never to actually modify the source files, I rather let the customer know in an extra file of comments.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deactivated options (in grey)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »