Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 19:11
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 29, 2010

I own Transit NXT Professional and I would like to improve the proofreading workflow.

I translate a Word file in NXT from Czech to English and currently I export the translation to Word, and send the resulting Word file to a native speaker for proofreading, which means that I get back the corrected translation in Word but transferring the corrections to the NXT language pair would be painful. Hence my language pair still contains the errors, which are corrected by the proofreader on
... See more
I own Transit NXT Professional and I would like to improve the proofreading workflow.

I translate a Word file in NXT from Czech to English and currently I export the translation to Word, and send the resulting Word file to a native speaker for proofreading, which means that I get back the corrected translation in Word but transferring the corrections to the NXT language pair would be painful. Hence my language pair still contains the errors, which are corrected by the proofreader only in the Word file.

The problems are:
1. the proofreader does not own Transit and will not buy it just for the proofreading purposes,
2. even if s/he did own Transit, anything like "track changes" is not available in Transit, AFAIK, but I need to know exactly what edits are suggested to avoid "proofreading-artefact" errors.

What reasonable options do I have to improve this unsatisfactory workflow?

Antonin
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Print to PDF? Nov 29, 2010

Hello Antonín,
I think you can export your translation into PDF and have your native speaker comment the PDF file. Any changes will have to be done manually in Transit though.

I use a similar workflow in Trados Studio which is a little more elegant:
1. Translation
2. Export into bilingual Word file with SDLXLIFF Converter
3. Proofreading by the client (track changes ON)
4. Accept/Reject any changes made
5. Import back into Studio with SDLXLIFF Co
... See more
Hello Antonín,
I think you can export your translation into PDF and have your native speaker comment the PDF file. Any changes will have to be done manually in Transit though.

I use a similar workflow in Trados Studio which is a little more elegant:
1. Translation
2. Export into bilingual Word file with SDLXLIFF Converter
3. Proofreading by the client (track changes ON)
4. Accept/Reject any changes made
5. Import back into Studio with SDLXLIFF Converter

Works like a charm.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand why pdf Nov 29, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Since they proofread in MS Word, which is a convenient fromat for it, I cannot see why pdf export comes handy. The manual transfer to Transit is the stage that disturbs me, of course.

I was hoping that a program converting between NXT and Word might exist out there...

Antonin

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Misunderstanding on my part Nov 29, 2010

Uhm, I misunderstood. I don't know of any such conversion tool for Transit. AFAIK, apart from Studio, DejaVu and MemoQ (?) have this functionality.

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
MemoQ, maybe? Dec 15, 2010

MemoQ has this feature too and maybe it would be a solution to Antonin's problem since MemoQ's compatibility with Transit is supposed to be excellent.

I don't know if this feature is included in the cheapest (or even free) version of MemoQ, though, I have the professional edition. And I can't comment on the compatibility issues since I obviously use Transit for my Transit projects.

But maybe you can pack your translation as a Transit project, open it in MemoQ, export it
... See more
MemoQ has this feature too and maybe it would be a solution to Antonin's problem since MemoQ's compatibility with Transit is supposed to be excellent.

I don't know if this feature is included in the cheapest (or even free) version of MemoQ, though, I have the professional edition. And I can't comment on the compatibility issues since I obviously use Transit for my Transit projects.

But maybe you can pack your translation as a Transit project, open it in MemoQ, export it as a bilingual doc-file you can send to your proofreader, then you import the doc-file with his changes back into MemoQ, "deliver" it as a Transit project and import it in Transit. It might work, if your proofreader doesn't mind reviewing your translation in form of a table with 2 columns.

[Edited at 2010-12-15 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading workflow in NXT

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »