SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for Transit NXT: where to get it?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dec 21, 2010

Hi Everyone,

The manual for NXT says that SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is on the install cd. I did, however, download my copy of NXT.

How can I get SQL Server 2005 Express Edition? Can I use the version at Microsoft.com:<
... See more
Hi Everyone,

The manual for NXT says that SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is on the install cd. I did, however, download my copy of NXT.

How can I get SQL Server 2005 Express Edition? Can I use the version at Microsoft.com:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=65212 ?
(at http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/express-down.aspx)

Or should I even download version 2008?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=125111

I guess 2008 is faster?

Okay, when I download SQL 2005 from Microsoft, is this all I need for NXT? I don't have any Termstar databases. Do I still need the migration tool? (E.g. for the Received database?)

If so, where do I get it? Can somebody send it to me or give me a download link?

Thanks again,

Hans
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Installing MS SQL 2005 Express Dec 23, 2010

Hans Lenting wrote:

How can I get SQL Server 2005 Express Edition?

I received notice form STAR Support that a special license is needed for SQL Support. Such a license was kindly provided.

I also received a download link to the inst_transitnxt.iso image file. I've downloaded it and burned it to disk.

BTW: The easiest way to burn an image to a CD with OS X is like this:

How to burn ISO disc images
Authored by: tetsuo_ on Jun 22, '06 08:37:33AM
You can do it the other way round, too:

1. Open the ISO image with Disk Utility (e.g. via "Open with" in the finder context menu).

2. Select the image in the drives list in Disk Utility.

3. Hit the "Burn" button and insert a blank CD.

First I tried to install MS SQL via the GUI that is started after the installation CD is inserted. This didn't work!

The installation manual told me to manually start mssqlsetup.exe in the Acs folder on the CD. This worked fine.

I did not convert the Termstar Received databases to SQL databases: I'd like to keep them as Access databases.

I created a new SQL database 'MasterSQL' with an empty dictionary 'Background'.

Via the Ressource bar | Dictionary | Import terminology | ??Custom definition, I was able to import my 'Big Mama' background terminology file. This will probably take another 30 minutes now (running WinXP SP3 32 bit in a Parallels VM with 2 GB RAM assigned on an iMac Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz).

I'm exited about how fast terminology background search will be and whether all options (Case sensitivity etc.) will work.

I hope that everything works well so that I can make the transition from XV to NXT at last.

HL

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Fix for SP3 Dec 30, 2010

I wrote:

I hope that everything works well so that I can make the transition from XV to NXT at last.

I'm not at that point, yet. Still experimenting and evaluating NXT SP3. This message is to inform you that I received a fix for SP3 that solved a problem that occurred when selecting 'Highlight terms if target language does not exist'.

At this moment I'm dealing with another problem:

Scenario:

Term One and Term Two are both in my SQL dictionary. They are displayed in the yellow term window.

When I create a new Term Three, containing both Term One and Term Two:

- Term Three is displayed in Termstar (after clicking on the tab above the target text window).

- Term Three is not displayed in the yellow term window.

Closing and reopening the language pair (as suggested by Support) doesn't solve it, neither does restarting NXT.

My questions to you:

1. Can someone confirm this behavior?

2. What could be causing this erroneous behavior?

Thanks,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for Transit NXT: where to get it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »