Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jan 26, 2011

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please send me a filter for translating TMX files in Transit XV?

Thanks,

Hans

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
something wrong Jan 26, 2011

Why would you want to or have to translate a TMX file? TMX is a translaiton memory format, and as such, it usually has both languages in it.
If you have a monolingual TMX, I still wonder why anyone generated it and what they want to do with it once it's translated. Of course if you were to import it to Transit or any other CAT as an XML file, which it is, you would end up replacing the original text instead of adding the translation in a different field, which is probably not what you want
... See more
Why would you want to or have to translate a TMX file? TMX is a translaiton memory format, and as such, it usually has both languages in it.
If you have a monolingual TMX, I still wonder why anyone generated it and what they want to do with it once it's translated. Of course if you were to import it to Transit or any other CAT as an XML file, which it is, you would end up replacing the original text instead of adding the translation in a different field, which is probably not what you want.

To sum up: get back to the client and ask what exactly they want and why.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX is a translatable format Jan 26, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

If you have a monolingual TMX, I still wonder why anyone generated it and what they want to do with it once it's translated. Of course if you were to import it to Transit or any other CAT as an XML file, which it is, you would end up replacing the original text instead of adding the translation in a different field, which is probably not what you want.

To sum up: get back to the client and ask what exactly they want and why.

One may need to translate a TMX file. For example if you have an Across project and want to translate it with another CAT, then the only solution is to export the project in TMX format, translate it with your preferred CAT tool and then import back to Across.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Really? Jan 26, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

if you have an Across project and want to translate it with another CAT, then the only solution is to export the project in TMX format, translate it with your preferred CAT tool and then import back to Across.

That's more than a little odd.
Does Across generate monolingual TMX files with an empty field for the translation, which you then fill in? Or does it just expect you to overwrite the source text?
Which CAT can translate these TMX files in the way Across expects?

Again, TMX was never designed to be a translatable format, so there is no "right" way to do it. What works for Across projects may not work for the original poster here.

[Edited at 2011-01-26 22:04 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Translating TMX does make sense Jan 27, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

One may need to translate a TMX file. For example if you have an Across project and want to translate it with another CAT, then the only solution is to export the project in TMX format, translate it with your preferred CAT tool and then import back to Across.

Exactly.

Hans

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
AFAIK only with DVX (and Fortis) Jan 27, 2011

Hi Hans,

There is a similar thread on this subject http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/190439-any_possibility_to_translate_across_projects_in_other_tools.html

I can translate Across projects with DVX which supports TMX as a translatable format.

Fortis, which is a CAT tool similar t
... See more
Hi Hans,

There is a similar thread on this subject http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/190439-any_possibility_to_translate_across_projects_in_other_tools.html

I can translate Across projects with DVX which supports TMX as a translatable format.

Fortis, which is a CAT tool similar to Transit, may support it as well. See http://www.translate-now.net/formats.php

HTH

Selcuk
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Possible workaround Jan 27, 2011

Hi Hans,

Why not try importing the TMX as "reference material" (Project > TMX Import) and then open the resulting language pair (File > Open > Language pair - browse). When you are finished, export back to TMX (Project > TMX export). You can create a project with just the language pair files to make things easier.

HTH,
Jill

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Across needs to be co-operative ... Jan 27, 2011

Hi Selcuk,

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Fortis, which is a CAT tool similar to Transit, may support it as well. See http://www.translate-now.net/formats.php

HTHcr

Selcuk

I'm aware of all your postings and knowledge. AMOF you're me guru on this topic.

Thanks for the link to Fortis (it's my hobby to evaluate CAT tools). I'll have a look at it.

Bye,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion Jan 27, 2011

Hi Jill,

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Why not try importing the TMX as "reference material" (Project > TMX Import) and then open the resulting language pair (File > Open > Language pair - browse). When you are finished, export back to TMX (Project > TMX export). You can create a project with just the language pair files to make things easier.

HTH,
Jill

Very nice suggestion indeed! BTW: The problem currently is to get the non translated segments out of Across. That is why I stated: Across should support Xliff or some kind of exchange.

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Fortis? Transit clone? Jan 27, 2011

Selcuk,

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

HTH

Selcuk

The screen shots look very much like Transit indeed. Is it developed by former STAR people or what? Do you have more info on this CAT tool?

I'll try to find a download link for an evaluation copy.

Thanks,

Hans

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Fortis Revolution Jan 27, 2011

Hans Lenting wrote:

The screen shots look very much like Transit indeed. Is it developed by former STAR people or what? Do you have more info on this CAT tool?

I'll try to find a download link for an evaluation copy.

Thanks,

Hans

AFAIK, Fortis is based on Transit 2.7, but the current version (Revolution) may have some improvements. Its price is USD 199 but I could not find any information on availability of a evaluation copy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Filter for translating TMX files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »