Translating a table with Transit
Thread poster: kgm
kgm
kgm
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2011

Hi! Transit translates a table line by line and it seems to me it looks confusing:

I am offered to translate:
Gerät läuft nicht an Netzstromversorgung Anderes Elektrogerät einstecken, unterbrochen Funktion prüfen Netzkabel oder Stecker defektVon Elektrofachkraft prüfen und gegebenenfalls ersetzen lassen

Surely it should run:
one cell:
Gerät läuft nicht an

another cell:
Netzstromversorgung unterbrochen

Any advice
... See more
Hi! Transit translates a table line by line and it seems to me it looks confusing:

I am offered to translate:
Gerät läuft nicht an Netzstromversorgung Anderes Elektrogerät einstecken, unterbrochen Funktion prüfen Netzkabel oder Stecker defektVon Elektrofachkraft prüfen und gegebenenfalls ersetzen lassen

Surely it should run:
one cell:
Gerät läuft nicht an

another cell:
Netzstromversorgung unterbrochen

Any advice how to cope with that?

thanks!
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:07
Polish to English
+ ...
My advice Feb 7, 2011

According to my understanding, the text consists of five sentences copied cell by cell from (I guess) one line of a troubleshooting table.

Originally, the table could contain cells merged vertically, that's why sentence parts could be put in a wrong order. Transit sometimes makes errors like this. I can't divide the text into sentences without any doubt.

I would ask the client to send me the original file (pdf, doc, whatever) to make sure how the sentences look. An
... See more
According to my understanding, the text consists of five sentences copied cell by cell from (I guess) one line of a troubleshooting table.

Originally, the table could contain cells merged vertically, that's why sentence parts could be put in a wrong order. Transit sometimes makes errors like this. I can't divide the text into sentences without any doubt.

I would ask the client to send me the original file (pdf, doc, whatever) to make sure how the sentences look. Another option is have the table file converted anew to the Transit file.

AM
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a table with Transit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »