Transit doesn't split after a tab: design principles
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dec 17, 2011

What could be the rationale behind the design principle that Transit NXT doesn't split a segment after a tab stop?

I don't see any advantages of that, personally ...

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 06:09
German to Arabic
+ ...
This is an option you chose Dec 17, 2011

Hi,

This is an option you chose.
By default it is not activated.

To (de)activate it:

Project settings | Segmentation | Do not segment after tab

Of course this should be done before importing the files. Or you can re-import the project.

The advantage of not segmenting after tabs, is that you can see the exact context of the word(s) before the tab and that they are related to those after it.
Otherwise, one might think the
... See more
Hi,

This is an option you chose.
By default it is not activated.

To (de)activate it:

Project settings | Segmentation | Do not segment after tab

Of course this should be done before importing the files. Or you can re-import the project.

The advantage of not segmenting after tabs, is that you can see the exact context of the word(s) before the tab and that they are related to those after it.
Otherwise, one might think the word before the tab is a singe word is a standalone one.

So, this is a matter of personal preferences and you can chose, the setting, that suites you better.

Best regards
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
My mistake Dec 20, 2011

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

I really must have been too busy to not see the answer to my question myself.

At that time I was working in a project that a client of mine created for me. He didn't deactivate the 'Do not segment after tabs' (or what is it called in XV) checkbox.

Everything clear now.

BR,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit doesn't split after a tab: design principles

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »