Why technology is key to overcoming the language barrier

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Why technology is key to overcoming the language barrier".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
First impression Aug 19, 2012

"First, it enables translation at a level where it does not need to involve a human"... ??!
I'm afraid this doesn't sound like good news to me, a mere human.
Caveat emptor.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:48
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Translation w/o Human Aug 19, 2012

"First, it enables translation at a level where it does not need to involve a human."

I do not think we will ever come to a point at which translation will not involve a human. This is because translation is both an art and a science.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Oh dear. Aug 19, 2012

Another example: Technically, no human being needs another human being to fulfill their sexual needs.

Jonathan Lichtman is an IT person who, like many others in this particular industry, has apparently has lost track of the real world.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Paradox? Aug 19, 2012

" translation is important because it facilitates multilingual communication and allows people from around the world to better understand one another culturally, economically and socially. "

Yes, it's exactely the machine (without any human involvement) that will explain and demonstrate the cultural/social nuiances.

These people seemed to have involved money (and time) into the machine translation technology and are now using quite absurd or contradictory arguments to p
... See more
" translation is important because it facilitates multilingual communication and allows people from around the world to better understand one another culturally, economically and socially. "

Yes, it's exactely the machine (without any human involvement) that will explain and demonstrate the cultural/social nuiances.

These people seemed to have involved money (and time) into the machine translation technology and are now using quite absurd or contradictory arguments to prove their points and justify the investement.

[Edited at 2012-08-19 16:14 GMT]
Collapse

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Colombus sailing to the north pole Aug 19, 2012

'Right now a really exciting innovation is the integration of machine translation (MT) and automatic speech recognition (ASR) technology (Apple’s SIRI is an example of ASR) into one platform.'

I've repeatedly wondered why people try to solve two nearly (or perhaps ultimately) intractable problems at the same time. It's as though Colombus were to hold a meeting on the deck of the Niña to announce that sailing to the Indies wasn't enough of a challenge and that he intended to make a
... See more
'Right now a really exciting innovation is the integration of machine translation (MT) and automatic speech recognition (ASR) technology (Apple’s SIRI is an example of ASR) into one platform.'

I've repeatedly wondered why people try to solve two nearly (or perhaps ultimately) intractable problems at the same time. It's as though Colombus were to hold a meeting on the deck of the Niña to announce that sailing to the Indies wasn't enough of a challenge and that he intended to make a detour to the north pole first to really cement his place in the history books.
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Pursuing ideal MT, SAIC will discover an ideal human Aug 19, 2012

and an ideal candidate to be launched to Mars (forever )

Ernesto Du Solier
Ernesto Du Solier
Mexico
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
Why technology is key to overcoming time travel Aug 21, 2012

I use a MCB (Machine Crystal Ball) to predict the future.

In the future, freelance translators and real language professionals forced to use MTs by agencies that want to "increase productivity" (i.e. increasing their income while reducing their payroll, which is, what you earn per word) by automatizing incoherently "perfect" machined (sic) so-called low cost text solutions (damn sic) will be treated as fast food industry underpaid, underbrained employees with no rights and no dignity,
... See more
I use a MCB (Machine Crystal Ball) to predict the future.

In the future, freelance translators and real language professionals forced to use MTs by agencies that want to "increase productivity" (i.e. increasing their income while reducing their payroll, which is, what you earn per word) by automatizing incoherently "perfect" machined (sic) so-called low cost text solutions (damn sic) will be treated as fast food industry underpaid, underbrained employees with no rights and no dignity, and ultimately, no job.

Language, at last, will succumb to the urges of a society who will have consumed its alphabets into a single, universally understandable character: $.

Then the Sun will become a Red Giant and Earth will be joyfully and definitively engulfed and destroyed.
Only a few wealthy ones will be saved on a star ship cruising the space with the hope of finding unknown planets to be colonized, abused and desecrated with increased productivity and higher revenue.

The universe will freeze. Everything will come to an end.

This comment was sponsored by Big Machine Global Balls, making your life duller since you didn't care about it when we warned you, now stfu, grin and bear, and starve, and pay us, and be thankful we don't screw you even more, and we will if you don't do something to stop us.
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Why technology Aug 22, 2012

Ernesto Du Solier wrote:
Only a few wealthy ones will be saved on a star ship cruising the space...

Ernesto, it's exactly at this step when we will badly need very fast and very efficient MT, I think.

Ernesto Du Solier
Ernesto Du Solier
Mexico
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
Why technology Aug 24, 2012

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

Ernesto, it's exactly at this step when we will badly need very fast and very efficient MT, I think.

Rest assured that I definitively won't make it, ;]

[Edited at 2012-08-24 02:06 GMT]

Peter Holozan
Peter Holozan
Slovenia
Why two problems at once Aug 24, 2012

Richard Bartholomew wrote:

I've repeatedly wondered why people try to solve two nearly (or perhaps ultimately) intractable problems at the same time. It's as though Colombus were to hold a meeting on the deck of the Niña to announce that sailing to the Indies wasn't enough of a challenge and that he intended to make a detour to the north pole first to really cement his place in the history books.

The problems are probably deeply connected - in order to make them realy work, you have to understand the text. The problem of ASR is that the speech realy doesn't contain all the information one would need to produce text. So you have to guess the missing pieces based on context and to do this you have to understand the text, make hypothesis and select the most probable variant. I don't think even a human could accurately write down a speech in language he doesn't know. For good result in MT, you also have to understand the text to predict which sense of a word is the right one. And recognise the hidden meaning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why technology is key to overcoming the language barrier

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »