Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 21, 2006

Hello users of Wordfast!

My problem is often, that I encounter a word or a phrase in the source language A, which I remember to have written sometimes in the target A when translating from language B. But now I simply cannot remember what the word was in language B. And when I highlight the word in the source segment of language A the concordence search looks only for occurences of the word in the source segments of my TMs.
Do I have to reverse my TM or is there an easier me
... See more
Hello users of Wordfast!

My problem is often, that I encounter a word or a phrase in the source language A, which I remember to have written sometimes in the target A when translating from language B. But now I simply cannot remember what the word was in language B. And when I highlight the word in the source segment of language A the concordence search looks only for occurences of the word in the source segments of my TMs.
Do I have to reverse my TM or is there an easier method to find the occurences in the target segments of my TMs?
Hope you understood what I mean. The problem should be common to all who translate in both directions.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Export your memory to a txt file Feb 21, 2006

Same problem in Trados.

What I do is to export my memory to a .txt file, and search in it using Funduc's Search and Replace.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
English to Czech
Using of Reference Search Feb 21, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

And when I highlight the word in the source segment of language A the concordence search looks only for occurences of the word in the source segments of my TMs.

Regards
Heinrich

There are no "concordence" in Wordfast version 5 and later.

Question is about using Context Search (Ctrl+Alt+C).

You can use for search in any TXT, HTML, CSV feature Reference Search (Ctrl+Alt+N). You will get results from TMs, from WF Glos, from downloaded HTML in which are mono-, bi-, and multi- language glossary.

You can use for searching any third party tool, too. In case you have indexed all words on your HDD. I use Google Desktop.

Milan

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But how to get reference search to work? Feb 21, 2006

Milan Condak wrote:

There are no "concordence" in Wordfast version 5 and later.

Question is about using Context Search (Ctrl+Alt+C).

You can use for search in any TXT, HTML, CSV feature Reference Search (Ctrl+Alt+N). You will get results from TMs, from WF Glos, from downloaded HTML in which are mono-, bi-, and multi- language glossary.

You can use for searching any third party tool, too. In case you have indexed all words on your HDD. I use Google Desktop.

Milan

Thanks for the correction, Milan.
What I meant is Context search. I just wonder how to get the Reference search work. I defined for Reference search one TM in a folder where all my TMs resist, but reference search does nothing when I click on the icon.
Of course I get results with Google Desktop.

Regards
Heinrich

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Look at text in manual Feb 21, 2006

Thanks for the correction, Milan.
What I meant is Context search. I just wonder how to get the Reference search work. I defined for Reference search one TM in a folder where all my TMs resist, but reference search does nothing when I click on the icon.
Of course I get results with Google Desktop.

Regards
Heinrich

Manual:
"Wordfast will run the reference search on all files present in the folder(s) specified for reference material. As with Context search, it is possible to use the Escape key (or the same shortcut, i.e. Ctrl+Alt+N) to cancel a search.

Use the Insert (or +) key or the Delete (or -) key to add or remove folder(s) where the "raw material" for Reference search is located."

Information in last sentence are very important. You can mark files you want search in.

Milan

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, the file was not checked Feb 21, 2006

I had entered the location, but not checked the checkbox. Now it works. Thanks for the hint, Milan!
Regards
Heinrich

Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John (X)
Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Activate "ContextSearch=All" in PB Feb 21, 2006

Hi Heinrich,

the easiest solution is to activate ContextSearch=All in Pandora's Box. This will force Wordfast to search all segments (source and target), no matter where you select a term.

Cheers,
Lisa

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ContextSearch in Pandora Box Feb 21, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Do I have to reverse my TM or is there an easier method to find the occurences in the target segments of my TMs?

If you want to find occurences from source segments of text in the target segments of TM, or vice versa, you can use the PB command ContextSearch
(quoting from WF manual):

ContextSearch=All will force Wordfast to search all segments (source and target), regardless of where you selected a term.
ContextSearch=Source will force Wordfast to search only source segments of the TM.
ContextSearch=Target will force Wordfast to search only target segments of the TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find "reversed concordence"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »