Transcription rates - hourly
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
French to English
Jun 9, 2003

Howdy. I'm considering a transcription-translation job that would pay 57.50 euros per hour, for several hours' worth through the end of the month. Is this a reasonable rate? I have done plenty of transcription, but all monolingual, and I don't have a good idea of how many words I would average per hour when transcribing and translating. Any ideas from those of you who have done this? From another standpoint, if I were to charge per word transcribed and translated, what would a reasonable rate be... See more
Howdy. I'm considering a transcription-translation job that would pay 57.50 euros per hour, for several hours' worth through the end of the month. Is this a reasonable rate? I have done plenty of transcription, but all monolingual, and I don't have a good idea of how many words I would average per hour when transcribing and translating. Any ideas from those of you who have done this? From another standpoint, if I were to charge per word transcribed and translated, what would a reasonable rate be? Thanks in advance.Collapse

Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
French to English
transcription rates Nov 13, 2003

Hi Stephanie,

I just got offered a transcription job as well, and have been doing some research on rates. If you do a search for "transcription" on ProZ, you should get some helpful hints. Of course, your language combo would influence the rate. My own combination is French-English. One fellow translator I just corresponded with said that every hour of audio yields about 7-8 hours of work. From what I've seen, it seems like most translators charge by the hour for this type of
... See more
Hi Stephanie,

I just got offered a transcription job as well, and have been doing some research on rates. If you do a search for "transcription" on ProZ, you should get some helpful hints. Of course, your language combo would influence the rate. My own combination is French-English. One fellow translator I just corresponded with said that every hour of audio yields about 7-8 hours of work. From what I've seen, it seems like most translators charge by the hour for this type of work. Let me know if you find out more info, and I will do the same for you. Thanks.

Scott
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription rates - hourly

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »