Thread poster: Claire Franklin
Claire Franklin
Claire Franklin
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:06
Korean to English
Mar 20

Good morning ProZ members!

I've been requested to translate a Korean webtoon and provide a rate per page of said webtoon. I've never encountered a per-page rate before so I have no idea how much to charge.

I was thinking perhaps:

For a chapter of a comic that is 5 pages long with 9 panels per page, my rate will be a minimum of £20 per page and thus, £100 per chapter. In the case of extra-linguistic circumstances (terminology, research beyond the text, for
... See more
Good morning ProZ members!

I've been requested to translate a Korean webtoon and provide a rate per page of said webtoon. I've never encountered a per-page rate before so I have no idea how much to charge.

I was thinking perhaps:

For a chapter of a comic that is 5 pages long with 9 panels per page, my rate will be a minimum of £20 per page and thus, £100 per chapter. In the case of extra-linguistic circumstances (terminology, research beyond the text, formatting etc, a surcharge of 15% will be applied.

Is this too much or too little?

Thank you!
Collapse

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:06
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
The difference between literary translation and webtoon translation Mar 21

Hi,

The difference between literary translation, where charging by the page might be an option if you have to because it's considered an industry standard by translation buyers like publishing houses to do so, and webtoon translation is that literary pages are somewhat narrowly definable and defined due to their regular-ish layout, while webtoon pages (compare comic books) can be any amount of words per page.

So that even beyond standard pages (such as the ones defined
... See more
Hi,

The difference between literary translation, where charging by the page might be an option if you have to because it's considered an industry standard by translation buyers like publishing houses to do so, and webtoon translation is that literary pages are somewhat narrowly definable and defined due to their regular-ish layout, while webtoon pages (compare comic books) can be any amount of words per page.

So that even beyond standard pages (such as the ones defined as 1800 characters including spaces) charging by the page might be feasible in literary translation.

Best regards,

[Edited at 2024-03-21 11:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per page for Webtoon Translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »