Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 15:35
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
Confessions of an owner/non-user Jan 6, 2010

While I purchased both Trados and Wordfast a little over a year ago, I have not been required to use them and therefore I have not bothered to. Neither seems particularly easy to learn and, to be honest, I can think of many other things that I would prefer doing when I am not actually doing remunerative work.

I am very open to using one or both of these tools, if there is an agency that would be willing to collaborate with me knowing that I am a new user and that I would therefore
... See more
While I purchased both Trados and Wordfast a little over a year ago, I have not been required to use them and therefore I have not bothered to. Neither seems particularly easy to learn and, to be honest, I can think of many other things that I would prefer doing when I am not actually doing remunerative work.

I am very open to using one or both of these tools, if there is an agency that would be willing to collaborate with me knowing that I am a new user and that I would therefore initially be able to take shorter projects with liberal deadlines. I've put that offer out there when bidding on a number of projects, but so far no takers.

Something that particularly irked me was that one very large agency imposed a requirement at the end of 2007 that all of its "valued vendors" use Wordfast. For this reason--and this reason only--I went ahead and purchased Wordfast. Since then, I have been given no work by the agency in question, and my e-mail inquiry to their upper-level manager who is listed as a contact on this site went unanswered....

[Edited at 2010-01-07 00:39 GMT]
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:35
Člen (2005)
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 7, 2010

This option was not in the poll (it went from "Seldom" to "Quite Often"). I use them, especially when the files are large and have repetitions. It's impossible to use them when I get scanned images in PDF format, which happens often. So it's about 50% usage.

Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Austrálie
Local time: 05:35
francouzština -> angličtina
Yes, "sometimes" Jan 7, 2010

Cristina took the words out of my mouth: I feel like my usage is less than "very often" and more than "seldom".

I use them when it suits the nature and format of the text. Probably I am not familiar with all a CAT Tool can offer since I only use Wordfast Classic (I work on a Mac).

MM

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 12:35
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree Jan 7, 2010

Diego Carpio wrote:

In creative translation they are completely useless. I wonder if these programs are an attempt to create the "cyborg translator". - all due respect to my colleagues who work in technical fields and find them useful. -

Greetings and happy 2010

Diego.

[Edited at 2010-01-06 20:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-06 20:41 GMT]

1.) I have no idea why copy for print ads or press releases are sent to me as Workbench or SDLX files, chopped up into individual sentences...

2.) A direct client (regular press releases for a software product) asked me not to use any CAT tools. They fired their previous translation agency because they were tired of their stiff and repetitive writing style.

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you use CAT tools?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »