Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Feminists attack Oxford Dictionary of English for 'reinforcing sexist stereotypes'

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Feminists attack Oxford Dictionary of English for 'reinforcing sexist stereotypes'".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seek and ye shall find Jan 26, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Yes, I think the best response from Oxford would have been to review their dictionary with this in mind. It does give the impression that the dictionary is being reviewed by old men who do not see the problem and/or the wider implications.

Old men? Isn't that a sexist and ageist assumption too?

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
neilmac: Jan 26, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Having said that, it might be interesting to see what the sanitised /bowdlerised versions of the examples given would look like, particularly the entries for "psyche" and "shrill" (I spent quite some time last night trying to think of a better example to define the latter).

Merriam-Webster's "sanitised /bowdlerised version":

the shrill sound of a policeman's whistle

[Edited at 2016-01-26 10:44 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:59
Hebrew to English
Hmmm.... Jan 26, 2016

Michael Wetzel wrote:
Just for clarification: Is that kowtowing or acting like normal, civilized human beings by apologizing for a clearly flippant response and stating that they would review the use of a clearly questionable example sentence?

I'm not entirely sure an apology was necessary, it is clearly stated by Oxford that:

All the examples sentences throughout the site are real examples of usage. They are taken from a huge variety of different sources, from all parts of the world where English is used, and they reflect a wide spectrum of views and levels of language. Opinions and views expressed in the usage examples are the views of the individuals concerned and are not endorsed by Oxford University Press.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/example-sentences-help

Given this disclaimer, is it really Oxford's job to start censoring language usage? (No matter how unpalatable). I thought it was their job to show us how language is being used, not how we wished it would be used in an ideal utopia.

...and as others have noted, there are other (less self-aggrandizing) channels through which this could have been challenged.

Even if I accept that an apology for the flippancy might be the polite thing to do (still debatable imo), I wouldn't advise doing it after being issued with an ultimatum (apologize or resign) by a Twitter SJW mob.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
With Jan 26, 2016

Fiona and Vera

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Interesting! Jan 26, 2016

neilmac wrote:

You don't like it either!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ho hum... Jan 26, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

neilmac wrote:

You don't like it either!

Correction, you ASSUME I don't like it either, which is what I object to. The fact that I happen to "identify" as an old codger is neither here nor there

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The age of steam... Jan 26, 2016

Vera Schoen wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Having said that, it might be interesting to see what the sanitised /bowdlerised versions of the examples given would look like, particularly the entries for "psyche" and "shrill" (I spent quite some time last night trying to think of a better example to define the latter).

Merriam-Webster's "sanitised /bowdlerised version":

the shrill sound of a policeman's whistle

[Edited at 2016-01-26 10:44 GMT]

Do rozzers really still have whistles nowadays? Perhaps "referee" might be a better option...

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
Not updated for some time Jan 26, 2016

Do rozzers really still have whistles nowadays? Perhaps "referee" might be a better option...

It seems to me that dictionary definitions don't get updated regularly, because all this would have raised nobody's eyebrow in the 1960s?

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Very interesting Jan 26, 2016

Here's an article on the subject by Michael Oman-Reagan. I think he makes some very valid points, and it's worrying that anyone would dismiss this issue as a waste of time. People can confront sexism without being "rabid feminists". Who wouldn't want to make a fairer world for our daughters?
... See more
Here's an article on the subject by Michael Oman-Reagan. I think he makes some very valid points, and it's worrying that anyone would dismiss this issue as a waste of time. People can confront sexism without being "rabid feminists". Who wouldn't want to make a fairer world for our daughters?

https://medium.com/space-anthropology/sexism-in-the-oxford-dictionary-of-english-6d335c6a77b5#.jkz9my77b
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
This Jan 26, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

It seems to me that dictionary definitions don't get updated regularly, because all this would have raised nobody's eyebrow in the 1960s?

This is a good point. How often would you change a dictionary's example sentences, unless someone specifically highlighted them as inappropriate, like now?

By the way, Michael - thanks for coming to the rescue of us women. What would we do without you?!

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
example sentences for "shrill", "hysterical" and "dimwit" Jan 26, 2016

What about:
The sub-editors of the Telegraph have once again provided their hysterical readership with a shrill headline bearing little resemblance to the material presented in the article that follows it.
In the process, these same dimwits have also managed to insert an image of a Merriam-Webster's dictionary ("rabid editorials", "a rabid supporter", "shrill gaeity", "shrill light", "shrill anger", "shrill criticism", "the nation's consumer psyche — D. J. Kevles", "research a pro
... See more
What about:
The sub-editors of the Telegraph have once again provided their hysterical readership with a shrill headline bearing little resemblance to the material presented in the article that follows it.
In the process, these same dimwits have also managed to insert an image of a Merriam-Webster's dictionary ("rabid editorials", "a rabid supporter", "shrill gaeity", "shrill light", "shrill anger", "shrill criticism", "the nation's consumer psyche — D. J. Kevles", "research a problem", "research a book").

If only the ProZ forums were fed into the Oxford Corpus ...
Collapse

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
I see Jan 26, 2016

From Oxford dictionary:

Rude: he is a rude and arrogant bully

Aggressive: he’s very uncooperative and aggressive

Obnoxious: he found her son somewhat obnoxious

Lascivious: he gave her a lascivious wink

Dirty: he told a stream of dirty jokes

According to Oxford dictionary men are rude, arrogant, aggressive, obnoxious, lascivious and make dirty jokes.

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
Just not acceptable anymore Jan 26, 2016

@Alvaro

It didn't take you long to find these examples, so I assume there are many more that stereotype men and women - its just not appropriate anymore.

[Edited at 2016-01-26 14:08 GMT]

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I accept Alvaro's very valid general point ... Jan 26, 2016

... but I don't think it changes the fact that specifically selecting "a rabid feminist" (only the phrase is used, without any accompanying sentence) among all the available usage examples for "rabid" in the Oxford Corpus is not a sound decision.

Frankly, I don't see how that is PC. It's just avoiding being shrilly anti-PC.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Coming soon to a dictionary near you Jan 26, 2016

Gender-neutral definitions of penis and vagina?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feminists attack Oxford Dictionary of English for 'reinforcing sexist stereotypes'

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »