Scientific translation techniques

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Scientific translation techniques".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's actually a few tips to bear in mind when translating scientific STs. Feb 18, 2016

And hasn't much to say beyond the obvious.

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
It's actually a few tips to bear in mind when translating scientific STs. Feb 21, 2016

DLyons wrote:

And hasn't much to say beyond the obvious.

It is only basic rule. You don't need to attend higher education to know such tips.

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Local time: 19:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not even worth navigating to the page Feb 21, 2016

How does the author expect anyone to take her seriously when she struggles with the correct preposition for the correct verb?
"Firstly, you get used with the terminology and with the style of this type of work."!!!
(I just hope that she doesn't translate into English)

And then there is a real gem on the "Translation services" page, under "Scientific translations".
The author of said page believes that ASTROLOGY IS A SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINE!!
"Scientif
... See more
How does the author expect anyone to take her seriously when she struggles with the correct preposition for the correct verb?
"Firstly, you get used with the terminology and with the style of this type of work."!!!
(I just hope that she doesn't translate into English)

And then there is a real gem on the "Translation services" page, under "Scientific translations".
The author of said page believes that ASTROLOGY IS A SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINE!!
"Scientific journals or books dedicated to those passionate about physics, chemistry, astrology, astronomy and others need translation in order to become widespread"

How can someone who thinks astrology is a science give tips on scientific translation?

Stinks of "write a blog about translation (with info that is so generalised it is basically useless) and the clients will come flooding in"......
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Glad it's not just me Feb 21, 2016

I tried the links to see what useful tips there might be, as I work a lot with scientific texts nowadays (although I was always a duffer at school science subjects and focused totally on languages from second year onwards). However, the link I tried seemed to take me to what looked like a rather commercial and basic site and I got the impression it was about to try to sell me something, so I lost interest. I didn't see any information or tips that might interest me on the page I got to.
... See more
I tried the links to see what useful tips there might be, as I work a lot with scientific texts nowadays (although I was always a duffer at school science subjects and focused totally on languages from second year onwards). However, the link I tried seemed to take me to what looked like a rather commercial and basic site and I got the impression it was about to try to sell me something, so I lost interest. I didn't see any information or tips that might interest me on the page I got to.

In fact, just to make sure, I clicked on it again just now. It took me to http://translatorthoughts.com/ , where the first thing I saw was a LinkedIn blurb, which is probably the main reason I went no further (I have little use for LinkedIn nowadays).

[Edited at 2016-02-21 11:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-21 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:02
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Content marketing article, not news Feb 22, 2016

This is a content marketing article, meant to attract the attention of search engines such as Google, when someone searches for something like "scientific translation". The hope is that after arriving on the site the person will then navigate to the "Translation Rates" tab and ask for a quote.

It's not "News".

It's the way 90% of online business is conducted these days.

[Edited at 2016-02-22 13:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scientific translation techniques

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »