New Research by Prof. David Bamman Reveals That ‘ChatGPT Seems To Be Trained on Copyrighted Books’
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jun 3, 2023

https://tinyurl.com/2hkbtwod

[Edited at 2023-06-03 16:36 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Biology 101 Jun 4, 2023

Interesting article - but it misses A LOT of important points.

The most glaring omission is that the most important component of any AI is NOT how gigantic is the raw collection of data, nor what's in it, but HOW all that how data gets analysed and categorised / organised in patterns. An AI that can only keep "vomiting up words, not searching for insight" is still an algorithm that does not truly deserve to be branded "Artificial Intelligence".

The fact that some of the
... See more
Interesting article - but it misses A LOT of important points.

The most glaring omission is that the most important component of any AI is NOT how gigantic is the raw collection of data, nor what's in it, but HOW all that how data gets analysed and categorised / organised in patterns. An AI that can only keep "vomiting up words, not searching for insight" is still an algorithm that does not truly deserve to be branded "Artificial Intelligence".

The fact that some of the raw data are "copyrighted" according to some laws dating from the time of pen and paper is neither here nor there - an irrelevant side-show, a distraction from far more important aspects of AI.

The raw data being copyrighted or not, makes no difference regarding the biggest danger of AI. With the availability of cars, A LOT of people become incapable of walking more than few hundred meters. With "free AI" being more and more available there is a real risk of more and more people letting the AI "doing the hard work". Why bother studying when the "free AI" will help you cheat the exams? Why bother scratching under the surface when the AI "has all the answers"? Biology 101 says what happens with organs not used enough ...
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Agneta Pallinder
Tom in London
Jennifer Levey
Sabrina Bruna
Sara Massons

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Multiplication Jun 4, 2023

I agree with Daryo

Ever since I got my first electronic calculator I've been hoping there's at least one person left, somewhere, who knows their multiplication tables.

Here's a test: can you answer the following question IMMEDIATELY off the top of your head?

12 x 11 = ???

[Edited at 2023-06-04 10:27 GMT]

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:49
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
many people can Jun 4, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I agree with Daryo

Ever since I got my first electronic calculator I've been hoping there's at least one person left, somewhere, who knows their multiplication tables.

Here's a test: can you answer the following question IMMEDIATELY off the top of your head?

12 x 11 = ???

I still remember the squares of integers up to 16, yet I'm uncertain about the value of 17 multiplied by 17. We can rephrase your test as "10 multiplied by 12, plus one 12" or "12 squared, minus one 12." Although it's possible to calculate 16,532 words at a rate of 8 cents per word plus 18% VAT without a calculator (although not necessarily immediately), it begs the question: why bother? There will always be individuals who can devise a calculator.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:49
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sure Jun 4, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I agree with Daryo

12 x 11 = ???

That’s too easy. 12x10 is round, then there is just one more “12” left to add to it. 120+12=132. Most average people should get it quickly.

You won’t be able to do this with extremely large data sets. For every day/personal calculations, you should be able to do it, at least to get an overview of things.

neilmac

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Easy if you grew up in the UK in the 60s Jun 4, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I agree with Daryo

12 x 11 = ???

I learnt my multiplication tables during the 1960s, and we had to know up to 12 x 12 = 144.

Tom in London
Jennifer Levey
Christine Andersen
neilmac

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I will never forget Jun 4, 2023

Helena Chavarria wrote:

I learnt my multiplication tables during the 1960s, and we had to know up to 12 x 12 = 144.

As did I, when I had to be given extra after-school tuition by the very severe Miss Gingles, who I have never forgotten because of it. She made me go over and over the multiplication tables until they were impressed on my brain.

I later found out that she and the Headmaster Mr McComb (who was not sparing in his use of the cane) were having a secret affair.

But I digress.....

[Edited at 2023-06-04 16:20 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
A less energy-intensive way Jun 5, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
12x10 is round, then there is just one more “12” left to add to it. 120+12=132.

Multiplication by 11:
a and b being integers, as long as a+b is lower than or equal to 9, [ab] x 11 = a[a+b]b
18*11=191
As there is a dire need to reduce our energy consumption, this can help.

Philippe

[couldn't get the "formula" right]

[Edited at 2023-06-05 07:11 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Times tables Jun 5, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
That’s too easy. 12x10 is round, then there is just one more “12” left to add to it. 120+12=132. Most average people should get it quickly.

Actually, you failed Tom's test. You didn't know it instinctively; you worked it out. Nothing wrong with that, it depends on how you were taught at school, but "knowing your times tables" isn't about working it out.

Tom in London
Jennifer Levey

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Research by Prof. David Bamman Reveals That ‘ChatGPT Seems To Be Trained on Copyrighted Books’

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »