Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67561190

So the Dutch translator of this book about the English royalty managed to “mistranslate” a sentence whereby two unnamed people making inappropriate enquiries about a baby’s skin colour become one named person?

Unless someone Dutch here can explain how that might happen, I suspect it’s not true and the translator is being made
... See more

So the Dutch translator of this book about the English royalty managed to “mistranslate” a sentence whereby two unnamed people making inappropriate enquiries about a baby’s skin colour become one named person?

Unless someone Dutch here can explain how that might happen, I suspect it’s not true and the translator is being made the scapegoat.

But if it is, we might finally get that example of a translator actually being sued…
Collapse

reliable

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:40
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Scapegoat Nov 29, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Unless someone Dutch here can explain how that might happen, I suspect it’s not true and the translator is being made the scapegoat.

But if it is, we might finally get that example of a translator actually being sued…

I don't know anything about this specific book, but a publishing house, in my experience, never publishes a translation "as is".
There are at least two rounds of editing: after the first one, the editor submits their version to the translator who agrees or disagrees with the changes, then the second round takes place.
Sometimes, when the author knows – or claims to know – the language in which their book is being translated, they want to have their say too.

I think it's too easy to blame it all on the translator, that's why they might go with that.

Emma B
Maaike van Vlijmen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philippe Etienne
Christopher Schröder
texjax DDS PhD
Laura Kingdon

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
IMHO Nov 29, 2023

If the names are not there (in the original text) someone has added them in the translation and I doubt a translator would take this sort of (suicidal) initiative.

Emma B
P.L.F. Persio
Philippe Etienne
Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Alison Jenner
Robert Rietvelt

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation error? Nov 29, 2023

What a publicity stunt...

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Philippe Etienne
Wolfgang Schoene
Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Alison Jenner
Jane F

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Agreement complied with? Nov 29, 2023

I now understand why some translation buyers may insist on translators deleting and e-shredding an array of info they disclose, including source files and instructions.
Data protection is paramount!

Philippe

Wolfgang Schoene
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seeing double Nov 29, 2023

Just realised I missed the opportunity to make some kind of joke about it being Double Dutch. Standards are slipping everywhere.

Yes, it does seem to be a clever publicity stunt. I do wonder why anyone in the Netherlands would buy the book anyway (well, anyone at all, really).

Maisie Musgrave
Jane F
reliable
Tretyak
Kay Denney

Emma B
Emma B
French to English
Source documents Nov 29, 2023

Surely the publication house and the translator will have a paper trail of the source documents and edits so they will be able to track down at what stage of the process this error occured?

P.L.F. Persio
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Wolfgang Schoene
Jane F
Laura Kingdon
reliable
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
$$$$$$$ Nov 29, 2023

Yes- the two parents have got this American habit of suing everyone left, right, and centre, about everything. So translators, beware!

I can't wait for the California-style divorce. She will take him to the cleaners (as the saying goes).

writeaway
reliable

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Last update Nov 29, 2023

I didn't read the book, hell, I even didn't know it existed, but I just heard on the Dutch news that the book is not for sale anymore in Holland. So much for your publicity stunt.

Furthermore, how did the translator know the names of the persons involved, and how could he translate something that (supposedly) wasn't there? Those names are the secret of 'Buckingham Palace'. Answer: he didn't! So, it not a translation error.

The thought here in Holland is that somebody wi
... See more
I didn't read the book, hell, I even didn't know it existed, but I just heard on the Dutch news that the book is not for sale anymore in Holland. So much for your publicity stunt.

Furthermore, how did the translator know the names of the persons involved, and how could he translate something that (supposedly) wasn't there? Those names are the secret of 'Buckingham Palace'. Answer: he didn't! So, it not a translation error.

The thought here in Holland is that somebody with inside information leaked. Who and why? That is the million dollar question. (source: Dutch newsradio).

[Edited at 2023-11-29 11:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-11-29 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Emma B
Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Angie Garbarino
Peter Motte

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
According to Nov 29, 2023

According to Rick Evers, the offending passage is on page 128 of the Dutch version, and it reads: "In the prive brieven werd een identiteit prijsgegeven en bevestigd: Charles" (in the private letters an identity is mentioned and confirmed: Charles). So, now you can tell whether the Dutch version you have is one of the originals.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
philgoddard

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Try to get hold of a copy of the book Nov 29, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

The thought here in Holland is that somebody with inside information leaked. Who and why? That is the million dollar question. (source: Dutch newsradio).

[Edited at 2023-11-29 11:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-11-29 12:20 GMT]

It will be worth a lot of money among collectors.

Christopher Schröder
Laura Kingdon

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Possible scenario Nov 30, 2023

The translator was given (accidentally????) the original unedited English text instead of the final copy, and translated it as such. If so, the name(s) were mentioned in the draft version.

Who is to blame?

[Edited at 2023-11-30 16:12 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
reliable

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Occam's razor ... Dec 1, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

The translator was given (accidentally????) the original unedited English text instead of the final copy, and translated it as such. If so, the name(s) were mentioned in the draft version.

Who is to blame?

[Edited at 2023-11-30 16:12 GMT]

Occam's razor says it's no more than a desperate publicity stunt, to try to reheat vanishing public interest.

One way or another, the responsibility for any errors falls on whoever authorised the proofs for printing, and it's certainly not the translator.

Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 15:40
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
King Charles III & Kate Middleton Dec 1, 2023

Tal y como ha revelado, estos se tratarían del rey Carlos III y Kate Middleton, esposa del príncipe William y actual princesa de Gales.
https://www.lavanguardia.com/gente/20231130/9418090/revelados-nombres-dos-miembros-casa-real-britanica-acusados-racismo-meghan-markle.html

reliable
reliable  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:40
French to English
+ ...
Very fishy indeed Dec 1, 2023

I hope that the Proz community will stand behind the translator who has been accused in this "stunt". As we all know, no reputable translator would ever add a name to a manuscript. This is a foul way to gain publicity for a book. The author's denial of ever putting in a name could cause the translator great professional damage. It is very sad and unfair that the translator has been abused in this way.

P.L.F. Persio
Peter Motte
Sabine Braun
Kay Denney
Philip Lees

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World’s fishiest “translation error”?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »