Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
Proposal that people who post questions via the Kudoz system be obliged to provide context
Thread poster: Helen Shiner
Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:14
English to French
+ ...
announcing the surveys in a separate thread/via email Dec 28, 2010

Jared wrote:

Hello all,

There are a couple of surveys to members on the KudoZ term help system now running-- members should see links to these from the home page.

Best regards,

Jared

Thanks Jared, surveys completed. Will the results be published in due time?

Also I think it would be useful to announce these surveys in a separate (new) thread, or even via email, so a larger number of people are aware of them.
Not every member reads this particular thread, and most of us, I think, barely use the homepage.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:14
SITE STAFF
Thanks Aude Dec 28, 2010

Hello Aude,

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Thanks Jared, surveys completed. Will the results be published in due time?

Also I think it would be useful to announce these surveys in a separate (new) thread, or even via email, so a larger number of people are aware of them.
Not every member reads this particular thread, and most of us, I think, barely use the homepage.

Thanks! I'll post back with some findings once the surveys are finished and the results analyzed (that may take a little time).

If it becomes necessary to draw more attention to them this can be done, but to give you an idea, within minutes of having posted the links, and before announcing it here, the surveys had already received a good number of responses.

Jared

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Good solution Dec 28, 2010

Jared wrote:
There are a couple of surveys to members on the KudoZ term help system now running-- members should see links to these from the home page.
Jared

In other words, people who became non-members because of the current KudoZ situation (among other things) will not be able to contribute anything. That's one way of getting the answers you want...

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Where are they surveys on the home page?? Dec 28, 2010

I don't see anything on my homepage about surveys. Where can they be found?

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
French to English
Paying only? Dec 28, 2010

Jared wrote:

There are a couple of surveys to members ...

Paying members only?
While I appreciate there are some things you want to keep for paying members, I'm not sure that is an appropriate decision here. Perhaps it would make more sense to make this survey open only to those who have participated in kudoz (asked or answered, whether or not any points have been 'scored')?

(Yes, I'm clearly biased! But unless I'm mistaken, there have been a few people not renewing membership (or at least, they said they wouldn't renew!) as a result of site responses on various recent kudoz-related threads. If people can be bothered to get involved in thread discussions, I think the least you could do is extend them the courtesy of letting them answer your surveys.)

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contribution to Kudoz Dec 28, 2010

It is worth noting that an enormous amount is owed to the Kudoz system by non-members. (I gained most of my points during the 2 years when I was a member, so I am not referring to myself here).

Based on points earned (only one measure, I know), of the top 20 current (last 3 months) contributors to Kudoz in the German-English section, 8 are non-members. 12 of the top 20 all-time contributors to the French-English section are non-members. I imagine this is replicated throughout other
... See more
It is worth noting that an enormous amount is owed to the Kudoz system by non-members. (I gained most of my points during the 2 years when I was a member, so I am not referring to myself here).

Based on points earned (only one measure, I know), of the top 20 current (last 3 months) contributors to Kudoz in the German-English section, 8 are non-members. 12 of the top 20 all-time contributors to the French-English section are non-members. I imagine this is replicated throughout other language pairs.

I know I have learned a great deal from these people and the time, professionalism and care they offer to other contributors. Much of the glossary will have been built on their expertise.

I would hope that the survey will be extended to all contributors to Kudoz. If this is not the case, I guess it tells me something about how this contribution is valued.
At the very least, please can a link to view the survey be provided to non-members, even if we are not permitted to submit our views?
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
members? Dec 28, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Paying members only?
While I appreciate there are some things you want to keep for paying members, I'm not sure that is an appropriate decision here. Perhaps it would make more sense to make this survey open only to those who have participated in kudoz (asked or answered, whether or not any points have been 'scored')?

Thank you Jared for your reply.

I had failed to notice this was reserved to paying members though.

I totally agree with Charlie and others, making the survey available to paying members only will make the results useless, in particular for the reasons given by Helen.
All the more since, except if I am mistaken, members' replies to the survey are not sent anonymously.

Charlie Bavington
French to English
$$$$$$$$$ Dec 28, 2010

Helen Shiner wrote:

I would hope that the survey will be extended to all contributors to Kudoz. If this is not the case, I guess it tells me something about how this contribution is valued.

I think we have known for a long time that any contribution that doesn't involve your credit card number is pretty much disregarded hereabouts. One is constantly reminded of that "quote" by Sir Bob of Geldofshire (which he didn't actually say).

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
All paying members? Dec 28, 2010

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Paying members only?

Thank you Jared for your reply.

I had failed to notice this was reserved to paying members though.

I totally agree with Charlie and others, making the survey available to paying members only will make the results useless, in particular for the reasons given by Helen.
All the more since, except if I am mistaken, members' replies to the survey are not sent anonymously.

I am currently a full paying member and I haven't seen any trace of a members' survey.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:14
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
You should see both links Dec 28, 2010

writeaway wrote:

I am currently a full paying member and I haven't seen any trace of a members' survey.

Dear writeaway,

You should see the links to the two surveys in a banner at the top center of the homepage.

Regards,
Enrique

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
I see the surveys now Dec 28, 2010

Enrique wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Dear writeaway,

You should see the links to the two surveys in a banner at the top center of the homepage.

Regards,
Enrique

I see the surveys now. A colleague advised me to log out and log back in. I did and now both surveys are visible.
Thanks!

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
here's hoping that something is going on behind the scenes Dec 28, 2010

Cetacea wrote:

In other words, people who became non-members because of the current KudoZ situation (among other things) will not be able to contribute anything. That's one way of getting the answers you want...

I did revoke my membership due to the lack of professionalism of the KudoZ system, so my only contribution will be the statement I was invited to make about why I canceled my membership.

I remain befuddled by the apparent (?) lack of leadership at ProZ with respect to one of the website's most heavily-weighted initiatives (KudoZ). However:

Since most organizations with aspirations of acquiring and maintaining a leadership role try to learn from the invaluable lessons provided by daily use, I can only assume that behind the scenes, KudoZ behavior is being studied towards recognizing the flaws in the system and towards improvement. Especially since complaints of the sort made by participants in this forum thread and others can be validated on most days through a look through the language pairs mentioned.

I am optimistic that the ProZ strategy for increasing its status fully includes improving on the features of the site that are already in place, and especially those features that most closely characterize the organization, such as KudoZ.

Happy Holidays.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

priorities Dec 28, 2010

Cetacea wrote:
In other words, people who became non-members because of the current KudoZ situation (among other things) will not be able to contribute anything.

With all due respect, the way I see it is that those who became non-members freely chose to do so, which makes me wonder if their goal was to make this a better place or to be right... In my opinion, if their priority had been to improve this site to benefit this community, they would still be here, able to contribute. I fail to see why we should invite to participate in bettering this site those who do not consider themselves part of it.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
priorities bis Dec 28, 2010

ildiko wrote:

Cetacea wrote:
In other words, people who became non-members because of the current KudoZ situation (among other things) will not be able to contribute anything.

With all due respect, the way I see it is that those who became non-members freely chose to do so, which makes me wonder if their goal was to make this a better place or to be right... In my opinion, if their priority had been to improve this site to benefit this community, they would still be here, able to contribute. I fail to see why we should invite to participate in bettering this site those who do not consider themselves part of it.

People who do not pay are still part of this site. People who resign are not. Some people stopped paying as a sign of protest about how things are going. If they didn't care or weren't interested in improving things, they would have resigned. Please don't confuse non-paying with not caring or not being involved. These people are non-paying members, not non-members.

[Edited at 2010-12-28 16:31 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
French to English
All about the $$$$ for you too? Dec 28, 2010

ildiko wrote:
I fail to see why we should invite to participate in bettering this site those who do not consider themselves part of it.

I'm not sure I really give a stuff about whether paying members who have never so much as searched in kudoz let alone actually contributed a comment or answer are allowed to vote on what goes on in an area of the site they have zero interest in. The argument that "they pay so they get a say" carries some weight. So be it.

I do however resent the implication that the likes of my humble self do not consider themselves part of it. By a fairly conservative estimate, I've spent (as have you) about 100 hours on contributing to the kudoz archive (and I like to think it's been useful to someone, since about half my answers are selected). To say nothing of forum contributions (some more uselful than others, fo' shizzle!). The main reason I don't pay is that I see the benefits of paid membership as job related (and now voting, apparently!) and I don't need those benefits, and I don't see myself as a leech 'cos of other contribs as outlined which, I like to think, also support the site.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting throwing up the doors to all and sundry, merely to those who have previously demonstrated an interest in that particular area of the site by contributing to it. Thereby forming part of it, if you will. Delete all the info in kudoz from non-paying members and then see how bloody useful it is. Jesus....

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal that people who post questions via the Kudoz system be obliged to provide context

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »