Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
Proposal that people who post questions via the Kudoz system be obliged to provide context
Thread poster: Helen Shiner
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:04
SITE STAFF
I'd rather focus on constructive ways of improving the situation Dec 6, 2010

Hello Phil,

This is not a matter of me changing my mind. If there are ways to improve the giving and getting of term help which are (for starters) in line with the guiding principles I have mentioned, I'm more than happy to explore them. A feature which defeats a guiding principle is a different matter. I think it will be more effective to focus on constructive ways of improving the situation. The "person with the need sets the parameters" principle, as all the rest of the guiding p
... See more
Hello Phil,

This is not a matter of me changing my mind. If there are ways to improve the giving and getting of term help which are (for starters) in line with the guiding principles I have mentioned, I'm more than happy to explore them. A feature which defeats a guiding principle is a different matter. I think it will be more effective to focus on constructive ways of improving the situation. The "person with the need sets the parameters" principle, as all the rest of the guiding principles, are principles that I have to stand by, precisely in the interest of site members (this doesn't mean that everyone is 100% happy 100% of the time at the outcome, of course).

Jared
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
From a business perspective Dec 6, 2010

The thing that I find counter-intuitive is why, if a website/translators' portal wishes to position itself as the leading, number one venue for translators and clients, it does not wish to ensure a quality product throughout its site. I can only presume that what is sought in such a case is primarily web traffic. Anything then that might encroach upon that, such as reducing the number of poor quality Kudoz questions (ie not based on professional criteria including the provision of context), woul... See more
The thing that I find counter-intuitive is why, if a website/translators' portal wishes to position itself as the leading, number one venue for translators and clients, it does not wish to ensure a quality product throughout its site. I can only presume that what is sought in such a case is primarily web traffic. Anything then that might encroach upon that, such as reducing the number of poor quality Kudoz questions (ie not based on professional criteria including the provision of context), would be avoided. I find the messages promulgated by Proz.com to members and potential members to be at odds with my experience as a former member of, and now visitor to, the site. This would be the one key improvement which would make me feel inclined to become a member again.

I wish to positively support positive moves here, and we have moved a step forward, but I would ask Proz.com to clearly state its ethos in terms of quality and to live up to it fully. Please accept that, for many members/former members, the perception of the product is at present at variance with the message.

If it were my business, I think I would undertake a survey of clients at this juncture. Being able to respond privately will inevitably be preferred by many who, regardless of whether they agree or disagree with this discussion, do not wish to contribute via the forum. It is a very key issue.

[Edited at 2010-12-06 16:00 GMT]
Collapse

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Setting the parameters Dec 6, 2010

Jared wrote:

Hello Phil,

This is not a matter of me changing my mind. If there are ways to improve the giving and getting of term help which are (for starters) in line with the guiding principles I have mentioned, I'm more than happy to explore them. A feature which defeats a guiding principle is a different matter. I think it will be more effective to focus on constructive ways of improving the situation. The "person with the need sets the parameters" principle, as all the rest of the guiding principles, are principles that I have to stand by, precisely in the interest of site members (this doesn't mean that everyone is 100% happy 100% of the time at the outcome, of course).

Jared

Unfortunately, I find the principle of 'the person with the need setting the parameters' to be in need of reworking. When I need toothpaste, I do not and cannot dictate the parameters relating to the method of delivery and payment by Boots the Chemist. As a company it offers a range of options and requirements to which I must adhere in order to leave the store with my toothpaste.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
This already happens Dec 6, 2010

Hi Helen,

Helen Shiner wrote:

If it were my business, I think I would undertake a survey of clients at this juncture. Being able to respond privately will inevitably be preferred by many who, regardless of whether they agree or disagree with this discussion, do not wish to contribute via the forum. It is a very key issue.

Beyond what is discussed in the forums, the surveying, feedback collection and "one-on-one" discussions with members on their use of the site, and their needs, is ongoing, as is staff's analysis of feedback and usage. I agree that the majority elect to not participate openly in this kind of forum discussion.

Jared

Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:04
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Spot-on, Sarah! Dec 6, 2010

Sarah Elizabeth Cree, PhD wrote:

1. Sure, we can filter out all of the unprofessional askers in our pair(s). But given the proz.com point system, this is an effective way of shooting oneself in the foot: the fewer questions one answers, the lower one's status is. We can either raise our status by helping unprofessional translators (if we don't, someone else will) or lower it by opting to not help same.

In effect, the current system rewards those who support unprofessional behavior, and penalizes those who don't.

proz.com presents kudoz as one of its greatest, most valuable assets. Askers increase their visibility and status on the site through provision of good answers. It is contradictory that proz.com wants high quality answers (to confirm and justify the status and prestige of kudoz site-wide) and yet does not expect a similar level of quality for questions.

2. Regarding point six of proz.com's guiding principles, that "the person with the need sets the parameters". When an asker posts a question as "pro" and the community votes it down as "non-pro", this is hardly a case of "the person with the need setting the parameters".

What it is, rather, is a community of professionals demonstrating that they care about the integrity of proz.com, their profession, and their work.

I believe that this is precisely what is being sought in this call for change regarding the issue of context.

I really have to support what Sarah wrote here!
I am filtering some well-known "kudoz abusers" in my pairs and I am sure that this is the right thing to do: not to provide professional help to unprofessional users.

However, no matter how many users ignore those context-free questions, there will always be some answerers. And the worst thing about that is that these answerers - just like the askers in question - don't give a damn about context either. The result is: KudoZ - the most famous asset of ProZ - will be flooded with a) wild guesses; b) translations made with Google Translate c) random dictionary lookups d) mindlessly copy-pasted wiki content etc. And the judge of which answer is the most suitable will be the clueless asker himself... sounds pretty grim to me.

"the person with the need sets the parameters" as Sarah said, this is not true for Pro/Non-Pro so playing this card is not valid IMO. At least not when one of the "parameters" is to decide that context is optional.

I cannot see why it should be tolerated to ask any questions (Pro or Non-Pro) without context? All it does is create an illusion of help for the asker and an illusion of competence of the answerer...

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kudoz survey Dec 6, 2010

Jared wrote:

Hi Helen,

Helen Shiner wrote:

Beyond what is discussed in the forums, the surveying, feedback collection and "one-on-one" discussions with members on their use of the site, and their needs, is ongoing, as is staff's analysis of feedback and usage. I agree that the majority elect to not participate openly in this kind of forum discussion.

Jared

I appreciate that this is undertaken at times, however since I have been associated with Proz.com (some two and a half years), I have not been asked to give my opinions on the best way to operate it. I would welcome such a survey, particularly if the outcome were published.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
"The person with the need sets the parameters" Dec 6, 2010

So by "the person with the need", you mean the asker, right? It's OK for them to abuse the system and clutter up KudoZ with junk questions because they have a need, but if we have a need for context, that doesn't count?

You also say "I think it will be more effective to focus on constructive ways of improving the situation". If my suggestion isn't a constructive way of improving the situation, what is?

This is a relatively simple change which would hugely improve KudoZ
... See more
So by "the person with the need", you mean the asker, right? It's OK for them to abuse the system and clutter up KudoZ with junk questions because they have a need, but if we have a need for context, that doesn't count?

You also say "I think it will be more effective to focus on constructive ways of improving the situation". If my suggestion isn't a constructive way of improving the situation, what is?

This is a relatively simple change which would hugely improve KudoZ and make your customers happy. You could stick to your guns and have the issue keep rearing its head for years, as it has done already, or you could solve the problem at a stroke.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
I'll just leave this here for you Dec 6, 2010

Helen Shiner wrote:

I appreciate that this is undertaken at times, however since I have been associated with Proz.com (some two and a half years), I have not been asked to give my opinions on the best way to operate it. I would welcome such a survey, particularly if the outcome were published.

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/57466-compilation_of_thread_lets_improve3_things_i_would_do_if_i_were_running_prozcom_action_plan.html

I seem to recall the summer of 2006 was quite the debating session. That thread contains links to other threads, and so on. It was a kind of state of the union thread. Note that you can no longer reply, so we can't bump it and ask about progress....

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Re: "The person with the need sets the parameters" Dec 6, 2010

Hi Phil,

philgoddard wrote:

So by "the person with the need", you mean the asker, right?

In the case of KudoZ, yes.

It's OK for them to abuse the system and clutter up KudoZ with junk questions because they have a need, but if we have a need for context, that doesn't count?

Remember that the purpose of KudoZ is to provide term help. There are rules and certain controls which help minimize abuse of the system. Answerers who wish to request (further) context than that provided have a mechanism by which to do so.

I mentioned the idea of the article/set of guidelines on the importance of context, for which I have no takers so far. I have no doubt that there are other ways to help askers ask good questions, but I don't think hiding their questions for lack of context is one of them. As I mention above, one has the option of showing in the KudoZ question list the content of the explanation/context field. For those who dislike having to see context-less questions, perhaps a filter in the search criteria would help. This would cause those questions to not be visible to those who choose not to see them, while leaving the option to view them to those who wish to.

Jared

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding questions Dec 6, 2010

Jared wrote:

Hi Phil,

philgoddard wrote:

So by "the person with the need", you mean the asker, right?

In the case of KudoZ, yes.

It's OK for them to abuse the system and clutter up KudoZ with junk questions because they have a need, but if we have a need for context, that doesn't count?

Remember that the purpose of KudoZ is to provide term help. There are rules and certain controls which help minimize abuse of the system. Answerers who wish to request (further) context than that provided have a mechanism by which to do so.

I mentioned the idea of the article/set of guidelines on the importance of context, for which I have no takers so far. I have no doubt that there are other ways to help askers ask good questions, but I don't think hiding their questions for lack of context is one of them. As I mention above, one has the option of showing in the KudoZ question list the content of the explanation/context field. For those who dislike having to see context-less questions, perhaps a filter in the search criteria would help. This would cause those questions to not be visible to those who choose not to see them, while leaving the option to view them to those who wish to.

Jared

At present, if an asker posts a questions with a term of more than 10 words, the question is unilaterally suppressed by moderators. My suggestion in relation to suspending Kudoz questions (I am not sure quite what Phil has in mind) would not result in the question being lost for all time, but would remove it temporarily until context has been provided. This would act as a prompt to assist all users of the Kudoz section of this web-site and would result in a weeding-out of those who continue to persist in posting junk, aberrant questions, but also in allowing askers to improve matters by providing context. How does this run counter to Kudoz's aim to assist people with difficult terminology? For the life of me, I cannot see how it gets in the way.

[Edited at 2010-12-06 16:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-06 16:36 GMT]

Please note that my suggestion was that this would only take place AFTER three peers had requested context to no avail. It is hardly draconian.

[Edited at 2010-12-06 16:38 GMT]

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Charlie Dec 6, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Helen Shiner wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/57466-compilation_of_thread_lets_improve3_things_i_would_do_if_i_were_running_prozcom_action_plan.html

I seem to recall the summer of 2006 was quite the debating session. That thread contains links to other threads, and so on. It was a kind of state of the union thread. Note that you can no longer reply, so we can't bump it and ask about progress....

What was the outcome of all of this?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:04
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Questions without appropriate context are not suitable for KudoZ Dec 6, 2010

In the previous thread about the same topic, I wrote this, and instead of writing something similar again, I decided to copy+paste it here:

What is needed here is to recognize that a term help question posted with no context is "not suitable" for KudoZ, pretty much the same way as a question containing more than one term, or longer than 10 words. Those questions are deemed not suitable, and can be (and usually are) squashed (permanently) right away.
Interestingly, nobody is arguing about "blocking the flow of help" for those questions, even though there may be people willing to post answers to such questions.

Here, to resolve the context issue, we are not even talking about squashing, just disabling, hiding the question temporarily, until the asker fixed it. (Much like when a forum post is being de-vetted until the poster edits the content.)

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/181112-yet_another_suggestion_to_deal_with_lack_of_context-page3.html#1591931

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Well, sorry, but I think you're stonewalling. Dec 6, 2010

And now that you've explicitly said that askers are more important than answerers, I shall not be renewing my subscription.

[Edited at 2010-12-06 19:19 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
I can't be trusted.... Dec 6, 2010

Helen Shiner wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Helen Shiner wrote:

What was the outcome of all of this?

...to give a reliable answer, but my memory is that those phased reviews never took place. I do not recall seeing any polls as Henry hinted at, in response to what I said. I do not doubt there must have been some intention to consider doing something - that epic post of Enrique's is most assuredly not the work of a man paying lip service to the idea, in my view (unless it's the most over-worked double-bluff ever). I think the limits on questions arrived around that time, but not much else - you will note, for example, the idea of not putting rates in job postings was being proposed back then, but only got properly discussed and acted on when our friends in Italy started going apoplectic about some ministry of tourism thing earlier this year. A few good (very good) people ultimately turned their backs on this place after 2006, and I think it was around then that I decided not to pay membership any more. A decision which, as far as I can tell, has had aboslutely no impact whatsoever on either party

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great minds Dec 6, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

In the previous thread about the same topic, I wrote this, and instead of writing something similar again, I decided to copy+paste it here:

What is needed here is to recognize that a term help question posted with no context is "not suitable" for KudoZ, pretty much the same way as a question containing more than one term, or longer than 10 words. Those questions are deemed not suitable, and can be (and usually are) squashed (permanently) right away.
Interestingly, nobody is arguing about "blocking the flow of help" for those questions, even though there may be people willing to post answers to such questions.

Here, to resolve the context issue, we are not even talking about squashing, just disabling, hiding the question temporarily, until the asker fixed it. (Much like when a forum post is being de-vetted until the poster edits the content.)

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/181112-yet_another_suggestion_to_deal_with_lack_of_context-page3.html#1591931

Must be something in it, then, Katalin.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal that people who post questions via the Kudoz system be obliged to provide context

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »